Subject: Alternate combat idea - would people get confused? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Le
United States
N/A
Ohio
flag msg tools
So I've experimenting with some alternate combat ideas, and wanted some opinions.

Basically I am experimenting with rolling 2 dice, adding an attribute to the result, and then comparing the result to the opposing "armor class"

It would be similar to the current D&D combat, but uses 2d6.

Unfortunately this would be opposite of how Attribute Tests work, since my custom combat rules would reward high dice rolls rather than low dice rolls. I wouldn't want people to get confused -- or am I overreacting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played quite a few games now using the combat rules, and once you are used to them, they are quite fine!

Lots of people miss the simple and fun old combat (also myself), but the new rules are not that bad. On the contrary meeple

Commenting your idea, I think it would work. Why not? Just make some test combats character vs. monster and see how the heroes do.

The basic thing to do is to find out how many life points (on average) are lost against a certain monster (using the rulebook-combat system). In an alternative combat system, approximately the same number of life points should be on stake. Then the balance of the game (if there is one in DQ meeple) is preserved.

Let us know how it worked, once you did a few playtests!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Le
United States
N/A
Ohio
flag msg tools
PzVIE wrote:
I have played quite a few games now using the combat rules, and once you are used to them, they are quite fine!

Lots of people miss the simple and fun old combat (also myself), but the new rules are not that bad. On the contrary :meeple:

Commenting your idea, I think it would work. Why not? Just make some test combats character vs. monster and see how the heroes do.

The basic thing to do is to find out how many life points (on average) are lost against a certain monster (using the rulebook-combat system). In an alternative combat system, approximately the same number of life points should be on stake. Then the balance of the game (if there is one in DQ :meeple:) is preserved.

Let us know how it worked, once you did a few playtests!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Basically I would treat every hit as 2 damage (double that on a critical hit). The other option is to let people flip a combat card to determine damage.

I would actually prefer "1d4" for damage, but I want to keep it just 2d6 for all resolutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Le
United States
N/A
Ohio
flag msg tools
Okey, I have a workable system in place. It's just as I described -- 2d6 + STR or AGI, and compare it to your opponent's Defense.

All heroes have a defense of 16, and I made "monster cards" that describe their STR and DEFENSE values.

Combat can be done simultaneously or it can be turn based.

I'll post it in the files section as soon as I get the bells and whistles in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.