Subject: Solo Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Are there any good solo games out there? I'm looking for something fun I can play before bed to unwind after the day. Not really sure if there are any solo games but thought I'd ask. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but Friday has been getting some good buzz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne in my Pocket
Barbarian Prince
Onirim

There are a lot of games out there. I'd go ahead and do an advanced search, and filter on 'one player'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Friday - Especially for winding down, it's easy to set up and plays rather quickly.

For a grander experience, my favorite solo game is Ghost Stories. As a bonus, you can play it co-op with up to 4 players. It has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, it's very addicting. Set-up and take-down go quicker with experience too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
Airborne in my PocketThere are a lot of games out there. I'd go ahead and do an advanced search, and filter on 'one player'.

I agree with Jeremiah. A search will be a great start. Also search for GL with solo or solitaire for more suggestions.

If you check the 1 Player guild, you may find a few more hints.

Oh, and if you give us an idea what sort of games you like we may be able to recommend more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamopolis just did a session report on Phantom Leader in their podcast #20.5
Show #20.5 Session Report: Phantom Leader

It sounds interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking over your collection if 7 games, I notice you are relatively new to the hobby (assuming you've got your collection updated). So based on that, take a look at this option:

For Sale is a great little multi-player game that plays quickly and is a lot of fun for gamers and non-gamers alike.

It also has a little solo variant created by a user here:

For $olitaire

Just providing you with what I think might be very helpful for you and your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my GeekList: Solo Games Recommended by SHIGADEYO

SUMMARY OF ITEMS (in alphabetical order)
Castles of Burgundy
For Sale
Friday
New World Colony
Equilibrion (Urbion)
Onirim
PAX
Race for the Galaxy
Rallytaire
Red November
Utopia Engine

SOLO GAMES I PLAN TO TRY
Dice of the Living Dead (free print and play)
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Rolling Thunder (free print and play)
Troyes (variant info)
Twenty One Turn Hero Minigame (free print and play)
Walnut Grove
Wheels of Time (free print and play)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Point Games produce some fine soliataire games. The Hero of Weehawken is one of my favourites - quick, dripping in theme, and lots of replayability.

Disaster on Everest and Nemo's War are also well worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williamson
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim is the thing. Quick and relatively strategic for what amounts to a deck of cards (which makes it highly portable too with minimum set-up). Comes with two expansions in the box which ramp up the difficulty once you're used to the base game.

Its successor, Urbion, is just as good (if not better) but is presently only released in Canada and Europe under the name "Equilibrion". I believe that it is presently set to be released in the US in September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday, Onirim and Urbion (Equilibrion) are all excellent choices.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age can be played solo and is a good one as well.

It may be a bit longer than you want, but I enjoy playing Red November solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Yes, I relatively new the gaming hobby so I don't really own a lot of games yet. I also only get the chance to play with my niece, nephew and family whenever I see them (a few times a year) so I was hoping there would be some good solo games to play during the times I don't get to play with them. I will definitely have to check these games and see what catches my eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
After looking over your collection if 7 games, I notice you are relatively new to the hobby (assuming you've got your collection updated). So based on that, take a look at this option:

For Sale is a great little multi-player game that plays quickly and is a lot of fun for gamers and non-gamers alike.

It also has a little solo variant created by a user here:

For $olitaire

Just providing you with what I think might be very helpful for you and your situation.

I've played this variant, and it's a pretty good solo game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:

+1 for Thunderbolt Apache Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been enjoying Castle Panic solo. Just the right level of challenge, and only about 30 minutes of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are GREAT solo games out there.

My favorite currently are in no particular order.

Mage Knight Board Game
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?
Gears of War: The Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Larsen

Lehi
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
There are GREAT solo games out there.

My favorite currently are in no particular order.

Mage Knight Board Game
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?
Gears of War: The Board Game

I approve these games! All great games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many games...

I've found this to be a really useful list: Always alone... the definitive list of single player games.*

My personal favourite is Pandemic, playing as if 2-player. Friday & Onirim are my most frequent quick/small games though.

*someone more useful than me will be able to give you a working link to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing solo games. If you want one you can wrap up before bed, then I'd look at these two in particular. Both were made to be played well solo and both fit your criteria of being satisfying without being overwhelming in playtime, rules difficulty or in the weight of gaming decisions.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - This is my favorite solo game. It plays quickly, is very challenging and even manages to be thematic. It justifiably gets a lot of love on this site. Considering how inexpensive it is, I don't think you could go wrong with this purchase.

Elder Sign - It won't blow anyone away with its depth or difficulty but it is very light and diverting. Think "Cthulhu yahtzee." Many people love it; I like it for what it is - it fills a particular niche. You could have a couple of beers, get into your jammies and still defeat Nyarlathotep.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as a short game before bed...
I've been enjoying Kingdom Builder. Fun, fast, very puzzle-like.
And it has the advantage that you can play multiplayer with your family when you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Helixx wrote:
I've found this to be a really useful list: Always alone... the definitive list of single player games.*

*someone more useful than me will be able to give you a working link to that.

Always alone... the definitive list of single player games.

(Find the geeklist, look at its number in the URL, and enter than in the Insert Geek Link/Geeklist dialog)

Other geeklists you might look at:

SoloPlay Variants Posted on the Geek
Shacky's Solo Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneillio Lorenzini
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - This is my favorite solo game. It plays quickly, is very challenging and even manages to be thematic. It justifiably gets a lot of love on this site. Considering how inexpensive it is, I don't think you could go wrong with this purchase.

+1 for Space Hulk: Death Angel.

This game has been my intro into solo gaming and it has been a lot of fun. However, it is pretty tense at times- it might key you up before bed! I also just played it as a 2-player the other night and that too was awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of my favorite solitaire games (cross posted from another post on an identical topic I just made):

d10-1 Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations - Fly campaigns of varying lengths against enemy nations. Build your squadron and watch as they gain experience and improve over time (or get show down!). Choose targets, all of which are different and pose different challenges, penalties, and rewards. My favorite game ever, solitaire or otherwise. The game can easily be broken down and the results recorded in case you can't finish a campaign at one sitting. Individual missions are playable in 30-60 minutes.

d10-2 Thunderbolt Apache Leader - Similar to above. It's very new and I haven't played it so much yet. More details than HL:CAO, with more options and different pressures as well. Similar, but also very different than HL:CAO. Highly recommended as well.

d10-3 Race for the Galaxy with Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm expansion. The expansion has the solitaire rules/pieces. Games play in 45 minutes or less. It's tough and you won't win each game. The solitaire game and the multiplayer (standard) game play differently from each other. I really enjoy this.

d10-4 I think Arkham Horror is a blast to play solitaire. I used to play it frequently but real life has gotten in the way recently. Some consider it fiddly but I don't look at the game that way. With so many characters, enemies, and random events, no game plays the same. It has tremendous variability. I highly recommend it for a thematic gaming experience. It can take a while and it also takes up a big footprint. So if you don't have a lot of space or can't finish it in one setting it may not be the best option. Great components, though!

d10-5 Defenders of the Realm seems to have a lot of potential, though I've only played it solitaire once. It has different characters, the AI plays off a card deck, so the enemies move unpredictably, a rich fantasy theme (I think), and great components. Once I have some more time on my hands I know this will see some more play time.

d10-6 Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game has a sci-fi crawler theme to it. I find it very fun, although it is a very non-traditional game. It's quite tough and tense. Pulling off a win is satisfying. It can be had pretty cheap, but it does have an impressive footprint for being a card game in such a small box.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
love the suggestions, Thanks..I will check these out..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before going to bed? Sure: Lord of the Rings: The Adventure Deck Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.