Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, I am kinda drawn to these yatzeeesque filler games. I am pretty much strictly a eurogamer. Which of these two would you all recommend and why? Or should I just stick to vanilla yatzee?

PS- or is Can't Stop a better filler dice game than both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geekgirl123
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think since you are a euro gamer you will like Alea Iacta Est since you have more control over what you can do then in the other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've both and like them both. I would say Alea Iacta Est, it is the 'heavier' of the two games. More control and strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
We have a peanut butter cookie problem!
badge
Bert, what utter nonsense!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is my favorite Yahtzee replacement game. It scales from 1 to 4 players. I think of it as "euro-ish" because you are engine building and you have to feed your people each turn.

King of Tokyo is great but much more Ameritrash. Direct conflict, player elimination, glossy theme. Also, it plays terribly with 2, just okay with 3, so you need at least 4 players for this one to shine IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is just plain fun. Everyone I've played it with has enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get them both, since 1 is more of a filler and the other is heavier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo if fun ... and Alea lacta Est is a strategic Euro ... go with your gut (get KOT) ... and no Can't Stop is not better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love King of Tokyo, and I think it is far more thematic than Alea Iacta Est, if theme matters to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played KoT, but from what I gather it seems to be more of a filler. Since you're looking for a filler, go with that.

I have played Alea Iacta Est, and I think it's a great dice placement game. Scales 2-5 well but is more than a filler, as others have said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Carl!

Not to complicate things, but have you considered Ra: The Dice Game? Take a look at that one. It's worth a gander at least.

I like KoT. But I play with a variant that I think makes it much funner than using the standard rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.