David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by some of my favorite video games, I plan to make a worker placement + tower defense game like Dungeon Lords. Dungeon Lords is great but I think it's too complicated in worker placement mechanics but too simple for dungeon building & combat parts.

Here are the board & tokens in my mind (yes, they are familiar). For license reasons, I don't plan to publish this game. I just want to make a game for funs only.

Pls give me some suggestions & ideas for game mechanics based on the board & tokens above. Will it work on competitive or co-op (up to four players)? Or a solo game vs the system? Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My general ideas are like these:

You are a poor overlord of a dungeon built under a kingdom. You have two little loyal goblins (or gremlins?) as your minions at start. You want to defend your dungeon by getting more monsters & traps. You may recruit more minions by golds but need golds to upkeep them. You may place your minions to mine golds, hire monsters, train monsters, build traps, run traps, or lead an expedition force of monsters to raid the castle, to kidnap the lovely princess, to rob the carriage for golds & treasures, to burn buildings in village or seek information from tavern in village.

There are six family of monsters (Natural, Beast, Material, Undead, Demon & Dragon). Each family has 5 types of monsters ranking from E to A.Each family has monsters of unique abilities (I need more ideas kere).

If the game is competitive. There will be a monster fighting cup in underground arena. You may set up a powerful monster party to take part in the tournament. If you win, you will get treasures, new monsters or even level-up your monsters.

If you made too much troubles in the kingdom above, heroes will start to invade your dungeon. First wave is a lone hero. Second wave will be party of two..., then up to a party of four heroes. So you need to fill your dungeons with more & better monsters before you are captured.

Any questions & comments are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After some thoughts, I think having four evil overlords & four dungeons in a little kingdom is weird. Instead of playing as the Overlord, now players play the role of a sub-lord & commander of a monster army. Each player serves the same overlord. The goal is to gain most favors (VPs)from the overlord, so that you will get the most powerful monsters under your command, & the most favorite floor to defend.

At start, each player chooses one monster family & may summon monsters in that family only. As you gained more VPs, you can access to other families like Demon or Dragon.

At start, a player is assigned to guard one of the 4 floors at random. The bottom floor is not available yet. You may request to swift floor with another player by playing a Swift Duty card in the Court phase. Obviously, you don't want to guard the first floor & let your monsters as cannon fodders.

Each player has two goblins (your workers) at start. You gain extra goblins after gaining more VPs up to five goblins. During Action phase, each goblin can be assigned to do one action like mining golds, recruiting monsters, buying political cards, or gathering information....etc.

Then comes the Court phase. you may play a political card to propose a mission like setting ambush in the forest, form an expedition force to burn the village...etc. If no one plays a recommendation card, you will take the mission yourself. If someone play a recommendation card, that player may recommend another player to take the mission instead. VPs will be rewarded or subtracted from mission player depending on mission results.

Next is event phase, draw the top event card & resolve the event. Let say you proposed a mission to set up ambush in the forest in Court phase. If the event card is Princess playing in forest, you may kidnap the princess by killing the guards. However, if a Hero invasion card is drawn, a hero invasion phase will start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player starts with 3VPs(victory point or value point).

Lose 1-5 VPs if the floor you guarded is cleared by heroes (1 VP for 1st floor...4 VPs for 4th floor...etc)
Lose 1 VP if your character (Lord) is revived the first time, lose two VPs if you are revived the second time & so on.
Lose 1-2 VPs for failing a mission

Gain #VPs for killing a hero as shown on the hero card
Gain #VPs for mission rewards as shown on the card

In case a player's VPs drop below zero, the player is out of game. Let say your evil lord was killed in the last invasion. You lost 1 VP for the first dying & lost another VP for failing to guard the floor. Your VPs drops from three to one. So if your character dies again, you cannot be revived as it costs 2 VPs for the second death (i.e., your life worths nothing in the eyes of the Overlord.)

A player gets one goblin for every 2 VPs. A player always get two goblins as the minimum even he has less than 4 VPs.

The maximum VPs a player can get is 10. Once at maximum VPs, a player may attemp to challenge the Overlord by fighting a battle with it. The player chooses three of his/her best monsters & fight. Any other player may volunteer to fight for the Overlod instead. If the challenger wins, he/she becomes the new Overlord & wins the game instantly. The player who succeeded in defending the Overlord will get all monsters & golds from the defeated player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Cards:

Monster cards:

Any feedbacks? snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
Hero Cards:

Monster cards:

Any feedbacks? snore

They're so cute! I want them as pets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback.

In case you don't know, the monsters are from a famous Japanese console RPG "Dragon Quest". The monster designs were done by the artitst who created Dragonball (a famous anime in Japan).

More monster cards:

Politics cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gaston
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could use the hero classes and sprites from DQ3 from the GBA If I remember right there were quite a few in there. Also As much as I love Link, I don't think he really belongs in a DQ game.

As a slight twist maybe you can make it a competitive/ Co-op game where you all have to serve the over lord to stop the heroes from conquering the dungeon because if they do everyone looses, but you also want to end up with the most powerful monsters (monsters are VP) still alive at the end of the game so that you will be named the Overlord's lieutenant. Or conversely you play as the heroes and compete to build the best party to defend the King and the winner gets to marry the princess and become the new King.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice. I actually found lots of cool hero character images from various DQ games. They look great but I want something more humorous & cute. I think the Fat Princess characters are more funny so I chose them instead. As for Link, I think his wacky style fits the theme perfectly. Honestly, I don't plan to make a Dragon Quest game but want a fun tower defense game with theme from DQ & other funny video games.That why you see Link from Zelda & Arthur from Ghost & Goblins too.

I need more advices on combat, dungeon expansion & how the hero party moves. I saw a game "I Dungeon" has similar dungeon map but don't know if the mechanic works in my game.

Pls review my revised map & give me more ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some event cards I made:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.