Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Question about quests/use of old monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question for those that already have this. If what I have seen is correct, the Overlord picks from a particular type of monster to inhabit an area of a particular quest.

Is this how the old monsters are utilized in version 2.0, namely as choices?

In other words, while I know that the old monsters and heroes will be compatible with the upgrade kit, my first worry was that none of the old ones were included in the new quests. I was worried that you could set up your own quests with the 1.0 monsters, but they wouldn't be included in the actual official quest guide.

Is my understanding correct? Does this simply mean that the more 1.0 monsters you have, the more choices the overlord has? Are any of the 1.0 monsters officially mentioned/included, or do they just increase your selection pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
badgermaniac wrote:
Quick question for those that already have this. If what I have seen is correct, the Overlord picks from a particular type of monster to inhabit an area of a particular quest.

Is this how the old monsters are utilized in version 2.0, namely as choices?

In other words, while I know that the old monsters and heroes will be compatible with the upgrade kit, my first worry was that none of the old ones were included in the new quests. I was worried that you could set up your own quests with the 1.0 monsters, but they wouldn't be included in the actual official quest guide.

Is my understanding correct? Does this simply mean that the more 1.0 monsters you have, the more choices the overlord has? Are any of the 1.0 monsters officially mentioned/included, or do they just increase your selection pool?

I am not sure I 100% understand the question.

Conversion kit will assign 2 'types' to each previous monster. (Caves, Cursed, Fire, etc) In any quests that allow "open groups" (most of them) you will be able to pick 1st ed. monsters if they match types with the quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the wordiness.

Basically, I was just asking about the new "spawning" system. It is one thing to be able to convert the old monsters to the new system. It is another to know that they are fully used/integrated in the new quests/quest system.

I just wanted to be 100% sure that yes, the old monsters are fully utilized and not just set aside for custom quests.

(And yes, I think you answered my question...thanks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Needed
msg tools
In certain quests you'll need specific monsters (like the first requires ettins, Goblins and nothing else.) But in others you can choose from any monsters when it says open groups (so if it said, Cave spiders and 2 open groups, you can choose the monster)

The conversion pack cards of the 1st edition monsters are include the types of them just like the second edition, so you can put those in a game with open groups, no need to worry about custom games required.

Also, don't be surprised if not every physical miniature is used in the conversion pack, they really tried to make things small (biggest monster group takes 8 spaces) where in descent lots of enemies took multiple spaces and there were a lot of little ones. Heck, you can have 5 goblins max, so I doubt you'll get more beastmen and ferrox than 4 and a master. Also, ou'll probably only get to use a bane spider and master at most, but they'll be pretty upgraded, just because of there size and how 2nd edition can't have alot of large monsters like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
Cease_one wrote:
In certain quests you'll need specific monsters (like the first requires ettins, Goblins and nothing else.) But in others you can choose from any monsters when it says open groups (so if it said, Cave spiders and 2 open groups, you can choose the monster)

The conversion pack cards of the 1st edition monsters are include the types of them just like the second edition, so you can put those in a game with open groups, no need to worry about custom games required.

Also, don't be surprised if not every physical miniature is used in the conversion pack, they really tried to make things small (biggest monster group takes 8 spaces) where in descent lots of enemies took multiple spaces and there were a lot of little ones. Heck, you can have 5 goblins max, so I doubt you'll get more beastmen and ferrox than 4 and a master. Also, ou'll probably only get to use a bane spider and master at most, but they'll be pretty upgraded, just because of there size and how 2nd edition can't have alot of large monsters like that.

I do remember hearing that the Kobalds use most of their models: 6 normal kobalds, 3 masters, and when masters die they split into 2 normals. So thats 15/18 models potentially. so it will be interesting to see how many models do actually get used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and after just 3 games, I feel this game needs more monsters. Can't wait to get my conversion kit. Most likely the way you use the new monsters is when you pick monster groups for your "open groups" in a quest.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Martin
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Cease_one wrote:
In certain quests you'll need specific monsters (like the first requires ettins, Goblins and nothing else.) But in others you can choose from any monsters when it says open groups (so if it said, Cave spiders and 2 open groups, you can choose the monsters.

Not quite. You can't choose freely for open groups. You have to pick cave monsters for cave scenarios, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hairrorist wrote:
Cease_one wrote:
In certain quests you'll need specific monsters (like the first requires ettins, Goblins and nothing else.) But in others you can choose from any monsters when it says open groups (so if it said, Cave spiders and 2 open groups, you can choose the monsters.

Not quite. You can't choose freely for open groups. You have to pick cave monsters for cave scenarios, etc.

Pretty much. Every quest has between two and four trait symbols, and every monster card has two trait symbols on the back. As long as at least one symbol on the monster card matches one of the symbols on the quest, that monster can be used. Some quests specify a monster group that has to be used (for instance, you have to use goblin archers on the first encounter of A Fat Goblin, there's no "choice"), but every quest except the first one has at least one open group, and that can be anything with a matching trait.

If you're curious, the traits are Civilized, Dark, Building, Mountain, Cursed, Cold, Hot, Water, Wilderness, and Cave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.