A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Rules

Subject: (2nd edition) how do you travel roads? No wagons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David M
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hello there, my sister and I played this for the first time tonight, but couldn't figure out how to travel on the roads in order to settle those places on roads. I (the French) had no cards with wagons on the bottom, and she, the British, had no cards with wagons on the bottoms, but one or two cards with wagons in the top (the place that explains where the card connects to.) I thought that it could only be used for 'travel' if it was on the bottom of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the game materials in front of me, but Philadelphia has a wagon to travel by road. I believe this is only for Kennebec, which is a bad idea to settle, especially 2nd edition; and Fort Duchene (?sp).

No wagons for French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken is correct. The French get no wagons, so they'll never be able to use the roads.

Philadelphia is the only British card with a wagon.

With only a bit of historical knowledge, I'd say this represents the French unprepared to travel along roads which would take much longer and required more supplies than along rivers (which they were very good at). The English were better prepared for road travel, if only by a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
Ken is correct. The French get no wagons, so they'll never be able to use the roads.

Philadelphia is the only British card with a wagon.

With only a bit of historical knowledge, I'd say this represents the French unprepared to travel along roads which would take much longer and required more supplies than along rivers (which they were very good at). The English were better prepared for road travel, if only by a little bit.

The topic to read up on is Braddock's roads. (My knowledge exceeds a bit by one book, recommended in a thread in the wargaming for here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever seen someone use a wagon. They're* strictly useful for attacking/settling from Cumberland to Fort Duquesne or Fort Halifax (IIRC) to Kennebec. Since Kennebec is essentially worthless to the British and only marginally useful for the French if they want to run out their cubes or raid into Pemaquid, and since the east is a much easier avenue of attack than the west, I've never seen it happen.

(*edit: "they" meaning wagons, the plural being a bit of a fallacy because I think the only wagon in the entire game is on Philadelphia)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Oh, okay, we must have overlooked that card. I'll look again when I get done with work. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.