Subject: Complex (?) Question re Scout & Outpost HQ. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Love this game, but I feel like I have to re-learn it every time I play (app has made me lazy about rules as well since I just let the device do the work :D).

(1) Mobile Armor (attack on 3 & 2) is connected to Scout (+1 Initiative) & HQ (additional initiative phase).
(2) Thus, MA would attack on 4, 3, 2.
(3) But (!) Scout gets killed on 3.

So, does MA still get 3 attacks? If so, when?

Also, this is a no-brainer question but I can't fully remember -- modules still give abilities on phase destroyed yes? (Except Medic, which does not if it gets shot as well as the unit it's attached to.)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Good question. I am not sure about it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Or does it get 4 attacks?

During round 4, it has attacks on 4, 3, and 2, so it attacks
During round 3, it has attacks on 4, 3, and 2, so it attacks
During round 2, it has attacks on 3, 2, and 1, so it attacks
During round 1, it has attacks on 3, 2, and 1, so it attacks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
AstroLad wrote:
Love this game, but I feel like I have to re-learn it eveyr

(1) Mobile Armor (attack on 3 & 2) is connected to Scout (+1 Initiative) & HQ (additional initiative phase).
(2) Thus, MA would attack on 4, 3, 2.
(3) But (!) Scout gets killed on 3.

So, does MA still get 3 attacks? If so, when?

Alright this is the way to think about it. Mobile armor innately gets two attacks, one on init 3 and one on 2. The power of the OP HQ makes it so a unit gets an additional attack which occurs 1 phase after their normal attack. In the case of the MA this would normally occur the phase after its second attack ie on init 1. No matter what the MA can only attack a maximum of 3 times during the battle since only powers granting extra attacks can make extra attacks occur (if he was next his HQ and jacked into a friendly mod with an identical power to his HQ then and only then would his attack be increased further to 4 attacks).

So now lets look at your example.

On init 4 you look at the MA. Since he's connected to your HQ he is due 3 attacks on ints 3 2 and 1 taking nothing else into account. Thanks to the scout those inits are bumped up to 4, 3 and 2. MA's first attack is supposed to occurs now on init 4 so it attacks.

On init 3 the scout is still there giving the MA its benefit meaning the MA's second attack is now due on init 3. Regardless if the scout gets attacked it is still jacked into the MA at the beginning of the phase which is all that matters. MA performs his second attack but the scout is killed.

On init 2 the scout is no longer there so you look at the Mobile Armor. He is still due 3 attacks since he's next to his HQ but since the scout isn't there they are now supposed to occur on phases 3, 2 and 1. However, (and this is the tricky part), the attack that is due to occur on phase 2 now that the scout is gone is the MA's second attack. However this attack already occurred previously on phase 3 so it cannot occur again. The MA does not attack.

On init 1 the MA is still next to his HQ and scoutless so he is still due 3 attacks on inits 3, 2 and 1. The attack due to occur on init 1 is his third attack which has not yet occurred. The MA thusly attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome; thanks a lot for the detailed analysis -- that's actually how we played it but I wasn't totally confident. The examples in the manual about initiative, while appreciated, definitely bring in a good bit of doubt (for me) when applied to novel situations. But after this experience I do think I'm getting the hang of it.

Also probably going to start paying attention to each phase on the app :D. Almost wish there was a sandbox mode where you could play out and check these things. But then my friend and I realized -- "why didn't we just play with the app!?" :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah you can basically think of each individual attack (the first attack the second attack the third ect) as individual units performing attacks. They each can only occur 1 time and at a specific time (that can be modified with mods).

It's just a little confusing when they are all being performed by 1 unit since your prone to thinking "well he is due X number of attacks and his inits say that he should be attacking now" but the important thing is which attack (first second third) does his inits say should be occurring and has it occurred yet?

If you want a test to make sure you really have it tell me what happens in the exact same situation but when the MA is next to an unfriendly saboteur mod (-1 init mod) which gets killed during init 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
If you want a test to make sure you really have it tell me what happens in the exact same situation but when the MA is next to an unfriendly saboteur mod (-1 init mod) which gets killed during init 3.

Believe he attacks on 2 and 1 since he gets his original initiative (3,2,1 (with bonus)) back but 3 has passed sans action.

Is the short rule here that an increase to initiative affects all attacks but a decrease does not (affects individually)? Seems to be the rule based on the several examples I've checked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
AstroLad wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

Believe he attacks on 2 and 1 since he gets his original initiative (3,2,1 (with bonus)) back but 3 has passed sans action.

Yep correct.

Quote:
Is the short rule here that an increase to initiative affects all attacks but a decrease does not (affects individually)? Seems to be the rule based on the several examples I've checked out.

Errr I'm not sure what you mean. All initiative shifts affect all attacks regardless which way they go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrong. It attacks on 4, 3 and 1. Why?
It has 3 actions while connected to HQ: 3, 2, 1. All of them are boosted by Scout to 4(3), 3(2), 2(1). Every action may only be used once durring a battle, so:
- on Initiative 4 attack 4(3) is used
- on Initiative 3 attack 3(2) is used, Scout dies
- on Initiative 2 attack 2 (previously 3) would be used, but it can't be used twice, so nothing happens
- on Initiative 1 attack 1 (previously 2) is used

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Too much work Lukasz. This is why I'm happy to use your app for local multiplayer now instead. ;D

(Android implementation is great as well btw -- encouraged my friend to get it. Not sure if cross-platform play is even still possible but that would be amazing. Also don't forget to give them the new armies!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross-platform multiplayer is planned, but I still can't get you any timeframe. New armies are also planned for Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.