Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you are looking for a cheap solution to keep population cubes from sliding all over, I found a plastic sewing sheet at Michaels that can be cut pretty easily to hold the cubes. It is basically a grid of plastic lines with little tiny square gaps. You can cut out 3x3 squares that fit the cubes perfectly. The pattern lines up almost dead on and is only just a smidge off toward the higher numbers. But the numbers are still fully readable. It is a bit of work with a lot of snipping with tiny scissors, but one sheet was enough for all 6 cutouts, and a sheet was only 59 cents. 

The part number was 33900-xx where xx is a number for the color of the sheet.  It is 10.5" x 13.5" and says "7 mesh" on the back, which I believe tells the size of the grid squares in some sewing code. 

I'll try to post a pic later. It doesn't look nearly as nice as the laser cut trays I've seen, but it is effective in preventing small bumps from spraying cubes all over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Look forward to your pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree, pics or it didnt happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMario wrote:
I agree, pics or it didnt happen.

It happened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have to consider this idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion of the Geeks at Michael's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, such a perfect fit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was pretty surprised at how well it fit. I'd really prefer them be just a bit taller though. They can be stacked 2 high and work well that way, but just snipping 6 was a bit of a chore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
MILLINGTON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Since Chris is making the plastic trays as fast as he can, this cheaper alternative may be sufficient during the wait especially if you plan to play each week. The plastic trays make the game so much better to keep the cubes organized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USMMA95 wrote:
Since Chris is making the plastic trays as fast as he can, this cheaper alternative may be sufficient during the wait especially if you plan to play each week. The plastic trays make the game so much better to keep the cubes organized.

Certainly. What he has made is fantastic and if you've got the money (not that he is charging a lot) and willingness to wait a bit, it is the easier and much much nicer way to go. This is just an alternative if you are impatient, cheap, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*UK Players* Bought my sheet at my local Hobbycraft (they are in the kids craft section) for £1.

Currently cutting out my third 'tray'. Cheers for the heads up! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
USMMA95 wrote:

Certainly. What he has made is fantastic and if you've got the money (not that he is charging a lot) and willingness to wait a bit, it is the easier and much much nicer way to go. This is just an alternative if you are impatient, cheap, or both.

Both here.

Got some yesterday at Michael's. I don't have any scissors or snips that can cut that small, so I've been using an exacto knife, which makes for slow going. But I did manage to finish 2 and a half of them last night. They work pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, nice one. $1 is a good deal and is possible for international customers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a couple of these using size 14 mesh, as an experiment. The size value seems to be the number of squares per inch, so size 14 is more dense than size 7. I was able to get the "tray" to line up almost perfectly with the space on the board, but it's a very snug fit for the cubes. I hope to get around to making some size 7 trays to compare the fit, but I'm not sure when I'll find the time. I'll report back if I manage to get them made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galego wrote:
I made a couple of these using size 14 mesh, as an experiment. The size value seems to be the number of squares per inch, so size 14 is more dense than size 7. I was able to get the "tray" to line up almost perfectly with the space on the board, but it's a very snug fit for the cubes. I hope to get around to making some size 7 trays to compare the fit, but I'm not sure when I'll find the time. I'll report back if I manage to get them made.

The 7 mesh fits snug, but not tight. If cut carefully there is very little room for the cubes to move, but you can lift the tray and the cubes will stay on the mat. If you GM me an address, I'll send you one I messed up. It doesn't line up like the later ones because I messed up the pattern, but it has spaces so you could test the cube fit and let us know which works better. Also, it would be neat to see some pics of yours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:
Galego wrote:

The 7 mesh fits snug, but not tight. If cut carefully there is very little room for the cubes to move, but you can lift the tray and the cubes will stay on the mat. If you GM me an address, I'll send you one I messed up. It doesn't line up like the later ones, but it has spaces so you could test the cube fit and let us know which works better. Also, it would be neat to see some pics of yours!

I have bought the trays, but am curious what this size 7 mesh is you speak of. Is it the material from Michael's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
nate_lockhart wrote:
Galego wrote:

The 7 mesh fits snug, but not tight. If cut carefully there is very little room for the cubes to move, but you can lift the tray and the cubes will stay on the mat. If you GM me an address, I'll send you one I messed up. It doesn't line up like the later ones, but it has spaces so you could test the cube fit and let us know which works better. Also, it would be neat to see some pics of yours!

I have bought the trays, but am curious what this size 7 mesh is you speak of. Is it the material from Michael's?

Yes. The part numbers I gave earlier from Michaels correspond to a "7 mesh" plastic sheet used in sewing. "7 mesh" apparently meaning that there are 7 little square gaps per inch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Ugh. I've been into Michael's at least twice now asking about this exact thing. I describe what I want "any kind of plastic grid, like used in crafts or sewing" and they take me around the store and never find anything relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
Ugh. I've been into Michael's at least twice now asking about this exact thing. I describe what I want "any kind of plastic grid, like used in crafts or sewing" and they take me around the store and never find anything relevant.

I definitely found mine in the sewing/quilting section. In the store I went to, it was way in the back left corner from the entrance. Unfortunately, I have only been to one store, so I don't know if they are laid out in a similar fashion at each store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you say this is the same thing? (Couldn't find it online at Michaels.)

http://www.amazon.com/Darice-33029-Plastic-Canvas-12x18-Clea...

The 3rd "Review/Comment" it is said they are 7-mesh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
Would you say this is the same thing? (Couldn't find it online at Michaels.)

http://www.amazon.com/Darice-33029-Plastic-Canvas-12x18-Clea...

The 3rd "Review/Comment" it is said they are 7-mesh.

It looks to be the same. Hard to tell from the pic, but my guess is that any 7 mesh sheet will work. The part number listed in uour link is a bit different than mine (33900), but it is a different size of sheet, so that seems why.

Here is a pic of the label on mine if it helps. If you look up "Darice 33900" on google, you can find some amazon results for exactly what I used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want clear, the part number is 33900-1 btw. There are other colors as well, so I suppose if you wanted to get fancy, you could match them to player colors. I thought black or clear worked better with the mat though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:

The part number was 33900-xx where xx is a number for the color of the sheet.  It is 10.5" x 13.5" and says "7 mesh" on the back, which I believe tells the size of the grid squares in some sewing code. 

Really good idea! And 59c is half the price I saw it for at JoAnn's Fabric.

FYI: "7 mesh" means that a 7 x 7 grid is a square inch. This is perhaps the largest available. You can get 14, 16, 18 mesh as well. The larger the number the smaller the little holes (squares).

When searching online for these, the phrase "plastic canvas" or "plastic canvas sheet" will give you good results. When speaking to a clerk at Michael's or another craft store - ask to be directed to the Embroidery/Needlepoint section and ask to show you "plastic canvas sheets".

Here is the JoAnn item which can be ordered online.

Forget JoAnn. I found them in 6 different colors at Dick Blick Art Supplies for 79c a sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a couple with the 7-mesh, and as seen in the picture up above, they are just a bit wider than ideal. I just got a sheet of 10-mesh so I am going to try it with this. Instead of using 3/7 or 0.42 spacing, I will use 4/10 or 0.40 spacing. I'll let you know how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill C
msg tools
I made a three last night with the 7 mesh. It took a lot of work... cutting out the segments, then going back to trim them, then putting the cubes in to see if they fit and trimming again. I saw the 10 mesh at Michael's, but given how much work the 7 mesh was to cut and trim, I don't think I would want to have to cut that many more plastics dividers out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.