Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just jump into this and start with the positive attributes of 7 Wonders.

The Good Things
1. It is absolutely beautiful. Now, it seems silly for one of the most important aspects of a game to be how it looks, but someone 7 Wonders does just that. The cards and the player boards are just wonderful. The color scheme and layouts of the cards create such a visual delight that I actually enjoy watching the game play out. It can be said that all games would be improved with a better adjusted color scheme or better art, and that doesn't matter here. What does matter is that the art direction of this game enhances the enjoyment of it. I sometimes want to introduce people to gaming with this because it is so gorgeous.

2. It is easy to understand. I've read a lot of people having problems with this game because of the iconography. I have yet to encounter that problem. I have taught over 20+ people, and after one time through the game the icons became, for the most part, second nature. That is part of the magic of 7 Wonders. In game, there are NO WORDS. Only icons and pictures. (Okay, the cards and boards are named!) So this also makes the game language independent.

3. Plays well from 3-7 people without added playtime. Along with short playtime to begin with. Simultaneous player actions allows this game to flourish in large groups. Everybody does everything at the same time. Also, there is very little room for analysis paralysis because there are hardly ever "do or die" choices that result in a lot of baggage. The game is won through a series of small choices; there is rarely one decision that must be agonized over because if you make the wrong one you will lose. So the pace of the game is very brisk and quick.

4. There is almost infinite replay value. In the base game, there are 7 two sides boards. You can win by focusing on building your wonder up. Or getting science. Or building civilian structures. Or winning military battles. Or getting a lot of. There are a lot of paths to victory. You can play the same board over and over again and end of with a drastically different end game state.

5. There is a nice mixture of luck and strategy. With certain boards I go, "Okay, I need to get two brick immediately and do this, so I can do this." Sometimes I get the two brick and other times I can't. So I have to adapt. And that's the key to this game. You have to adapt to what your neighbors are doing and the cards you are getting. The luck or randomness assures that the same strategy won't be viable in every game. In addition, there is no bad luck in this game. Which is a huge plus. You never feel awful because you rolled eighteen 1's in a row. Or you drew ten lands in a row when all you needed was any single spell in your deck. You either get the card that you REALLY want or get other cards that you want. You never really feel bad playing this game.

6. The player interaction is existent. Yes, you don't directly interact with the player across the table from you absolutely directly but you do interact with them. And with the players on your sides? YES! Your entire game plan needs to develop on what your left and right is doing. I have seen so many players lose because they didn't realize that a particular resource was not available to them. Or I have seen players win because they took a military card early knowing realizing that his neighbors were focusing on other things. Or you can horde all the resources and make your resource deprived neighbors pay you for everything. When people tell me there is no player interaction in this game, I just scoff! Because there is, and there is a lot of it. (Also, not having player interaction isn't necessarily a negative thing. But that's another topic, right?)

Some Statements
Another complain about 7 Wonders that I read about is, "In a four+ player game, you can lose because you can't really affect the person across from you, and if that person's neighbors are bad players, that person will win easily."

And my response?

Whenever you play a game with bad people, results might be skewed. Have you ever played Catan with someone that always traded with the person in first? Or Risk where you were always attacked despite how obviously that person should take Asia away from somebody else? It's not a game's fault that bad players make the experience less. It's not.

7 Wonders is a light game. It isn't complex. I don't think this makes it better or worse because a game is fun despite its complexity and not because of it.

The Bad Things
1. Scoring. Now, I actually like it. I do. There's something about waiting until the end to tally up everything to see who wins that really makes me happy. However, it is very very time consuming and a hassle to do so. I just know that this type of thing takes people out of the game and creates this awkward wait time when you really just want to be setting up for another game. (Scoring science also goes here. It's a little too clunky for some people, but I like it.)

2. Inability to build two buildings of the same name. Remember when I said that this game is wordless? Well, that means that people tend to only look at the icons. And when you only look at the icons, you kind of forget to look at the name. And when that happens you build buildings that you shouldn't. I have seen this rule been broken so many times. It's a little frustrating because, again, you tend to not look at the words when playing this game.

3. The "free" upgrade system. This goes with the above. The rules of the game the focus on the names of the buildings seem to be the ones most easily ignored.

7 Wonders is one of my favorite games of the past year, and it might be one of my favorite games ever. I feel so much satisfaction every time I play it, and I always feel like I'm learning something new about different strategies. Because of its short play time, even if you're doing badly (which is rare) or you feel that you messed up, it will not take too long before you can try again and use the knowledge you just gained and use it to better your score!

What is there not to love?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! My family LOVES this game! The tension is non confrontational, and mainly comes from the feeling that you do not have time to do everything you want.

On scoring, I like the hidden score since it keeps the suspense till the end. The solution is to get your best math whiz to do the calculations, and the adding up will be quick...really it shouldn't take more than 3 minutes for 4-5 players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Baker
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Iphone app makes the scoring more efficient and timely.

Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Mac
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colormage1 wrote:

The Bad Things
1. Scoring. Now, I actually like it. I do. There's something about waiting until the end to tally up everything to see who wins that really makes me happy. However, it is very very time consuming and a hassle to do so. I just know that this type of thing takes people out of the game and creates this awkward wait time when you really just want to be setting up for another game. (Scoring science also goes here. It's a little too clunky for some people, but I like it.)

2. Inability to build two buildings of the same name. Remember when I said that this game is worldless? Well, that means that people tend to only look at the icons. And when you only look at the icons, you kind of forget to look at the name. And when that happens you build buildings that you shouldn't. I have seen this rule been broken so many times. It's a little frustrating because, again, you tend to not look at the words when playing this game.

3. The "free" upgrade system. This goes with the above. The rules of the game the focus on the names of the buildings seem to be the ones most easily ignored.

1. There are any number of apps for Android phones which aid in hastening the end of game scoring (personally I recommend the 7 Wonders Score Card app by Ryan McLelland). Also, the official scoring app for 7 Wonders is available on the iPhone and I've heard great things about that. Scoring Sciences can be a burden, but this is also where the various scoring apps come in handy.

2. I agree that players tend to focus only on the symbols.., in our games, opponents tend to do a good job of policing everyone else on this rule and at least one person will bring up that a player has built duplicate buildings.

3. Chaining buildings rarely seem to be a problem in our games... at this point most people look at the costs up in the corner and scan to see if they can chain first by having the building prerequisite before actually checking to see if they have the resources to build a building.

BTW, we recently gave the Team Play variation a try (available in the rules for the new Cities Expansion) and it really adds a new, fun dynamic to the game. Not only are you thinking about scoring for your own board, but you have to plan on which cards you're passing to your teammate. I highly recommend people to try this variation when playing with even numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
Nice review! My family LOVES this game! The tension is non confrontational, and mainly comes from the feeling that you do not have time to do everything you want.

On scoring, I like the hidden score since it keeps the suspense till the end. The solution is to get your best math whiz to do the calculations, and the adding up will be quick...really it shouldn't take more than 3 minutes for 4-5 players...

Oh, it never takes more than two minutes for us to do the scoring. And nobody ever complains. It's fun going, "Oh, he got 18 military, and I got -6, I'm going to lose!" Then, "I got 30 civilian points, and you got 7! I'm going to win!"

But I think it's a legitimate critique against the game.

Chobabot wrote:
The Iphone app makes the scoring more efficient and timely.

Jonathan

I tried it, but then it just kind of failed.

But right now, I just played with it, and found the option that you don't have to pick the wonders initially and can go directly to the scorepad! I think that's going to help out a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.