Shark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Company completely removed from the board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mika Porkka
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
I have a Flying Turtle version of this game and I have found that the rules are somewhat lacking. My question:

I assume that I can't buy shares of a company that is worth of 0. But what happens if a company is completely removed from the board? The shares of the company are worth of 0 and shareholders must pay their losses normally. This is clear, but does this mean that shareholders must also discard their shares as the company doesn't exist anymore? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I play it that although your shares are now valueless, they are still yours to keep. Of course, there is now an additional spur to try and recreate the group on the board.

I have, from memory, also played that you can not remove the last share of a company from the board, but I think that this was a "house rule".

Still like this game, even the new 5 zone version, but prefer to play with the George Crawshay and/or Sid Sackson variants on the old 6 zone board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Elsenheimer
United States
Howard City
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even when the shares of a company drop in value to 0, shareholders get to keep the shares.

But remember that for shares to be of value 0, this means that there are absolutely no tokens/pawns/buildings of that color on the board anywhere. If a chain of a company gets removed, but a single token/pawn/building still remains on the board, then the share value is worth 1000 F.T.

The share price of a company is equal to the sum of the number of buildings in chains (worth up to a max of 7 apiece) of that company’s color, or simply 1000 F.T. total if there are only isolated buildings with no chains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Porkka
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Thank you for your answers. I am just wondering if the penalty for the shareholders is harsh enough. For example, if I have 20 shares of a company worth 1000 FT per share, I would lose 20 000 FT, but as I re-establish the company with a single piece, I would get the same amount back right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Do you not an additional 1000FT for placing a piece in isolation for a total of 21,000 FT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Porkka
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Jazzuu wrote:
Do you not an additional 1000FT for placing a piece in isolation for a total of 21,000 FT?

You are right. 20 000 FT for the shares and additional 1000 FT for placing a piece that re-establishes the company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Elsenheimer
United States
Howard City
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your example is correct. You might be interested in knowing, though, that a share dropping to zero is not a common occurence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Porkka
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
pdrseuss wrote:
Your example is correct. You might be interested in knowing, though, that a share dropping to zero is not a common occurence.

Yes. I guess it is quite a rare occurence. But I am still wondering if a company doesn't exist anymore, how the shares of that company could exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As I said before "I play it that although your shares are now valueless, they are still yours to keep. Of course, there is now an additional spur to try and recreate the group on the board".

This is like in real life where a company ceases to exist - the paper stock certificates are yours to keep.

But unlike real life, if a company of the same name re-appears, then your stock becaomes worth something again.

Thinking about it, that is probably incorrect, but I am sure the original FT version rules stated, or at least indicated, that was the correct way to play in the rare circumstance a company is eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika Porkka
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Jazzuu wrote:
As I said before "I play it that although your shares are now valueless, they are still yours to keep. Of course, there is now an additional spur to try and recreate the group on the board".

This is like in real life where a company ceases to exist - the paper stock certificates are yours to keep.

But unlike real life, if a company of the same name re-appears, then your stock becaomes worth something again.

Thinking about it, that is probably incorrect, but I am sure the original FT version rules stated, or at least indicated, that was the correct way to play in the rare circumstance a company is eliminated.

Thank you for your answer and clarification. I have Finnish rules, which are very vague on that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.