Subject: Slavika preview part 1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Maciej Teległow
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game of Slavika players are heads of Slavic clans in the fantasy world of Slavic fantasy full of monsters from not so known Slavic myths and legends.

Players would compete with others by sending heroes of their clans to different lands which are threatened by monsters of different kinds. When specific number of monsters would appear in the land the heroes would fight them and players would get glory (VPs) if monsters would be destroyed. The clan which has most strength in the land get the most glory, the second gets a little less and so on, which depends on the land. There are more to this formula but I will write about it in next previews, today I want to write few words about heroes.

Every player has 6 heroes to send and every hero has strength (the only number on the hero card) and specific power to help get glory for his clan.

The first one is a thief (in the picture above you can see a girl with a hand icon) which has little strength but can steal a treasure when a land is scored. Every land gets a treasure card which normally is gotten by the clan with most strength and gives some VPs but if you has a thief there, you can take this card for yourself.

The second one is a wizard which has only strength of 2 but has also 2 powers.
First when putted into the land the owner can change the order in which heroes are situated. This is very important cause in case of a draw the winner is the player whose hero is nearest to the land card – when you play the hero you always put the hero in the queue, one after the other. The positioning of hero can decide who would get the most points and who would steal the treasure cause only one thief can do it – the one which is nearest to the land card.
The second power gives 2 points of strength to the wizard for every warrior in the land (the heroes with the sword icon) no matter which clan the warrior belongs to.

The third hero is the ranger (with eye icon). This one let you put other hero in his place (and take him back to the hand) or put him in place of other hero already in the queue which adds a lot of flexibility cause normally heroes wait in the land till it is scored.

The fourth hero is the archer (with arrow icon), which makes all the monsters in the land to have max strength of 4.

The fifth and sixth heroes are warriors (with sword icons). They have no special power but provide most strength in the game.

Every turn players put from one to two heroes to the lands and knowing when and where to put which hero is crucial to win the game. As in every land there would be heroes from different clans the player would have to be very cautious where they want their heroes to fight for glory.

The next time I would write about the monsters which are also played by players to the lands and decisions about playing monsters are often more important then playing heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the when & where we in the US can get this fabulous game?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
As far as I know, at the moment the game doesn't have an overseas publisher, so the only way is import? Slavika will of course be at Essen and who knows what's futher down the line

Cheers,
Marcin Wełnicki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Slavika took Drachengold, removed the negotiation, added more abilities, better art and the option to customize the "dragon" (group of monsters) on-the-fly...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Never heard of it I can see the similiarity, but after reading Dragon's Gold rules I can safely say that both games don't have much in common - besides heroes fighting monsters for glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mockerre wrote:
Never heard of it I can see the similiarity, but after reading Dragon's Gold rules I can safely say that both games don't have much in common - besides heroes fighting monsters for glory.

Sorry if I sounded a bit impertinent, I wasn't saying it in a bad way. Even if you had tweaked Drachengold, after changing so many key parts, the result would had been a completely different and original game, so it would had been ok.

However, if you haven't heard of Drachengold, there has been an amazing coincidence with the mechanic of heroes with strenght and one ability, with the stronger heroes being warriors with no ability, and the two weaker heroes being a thief that steals treasure and a mage that boosts the thief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No, I get why you thought they were similar But in all fairness, what is a thief supposed to do? Warriors defending a supporting mage is also a trope When the rules are finally published, you'll see it's mostly surface detail. Slavika is a game of fierce competition between players controlling both heroes and monsters, trying to get ahead in some lands and sabotaging the efforts of other players in others. Hope you'll enjoy it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
Does the game plays well with only 2 people? It seems that it deserves a lot of player interaction for a better gameplay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
In a 2-player game each player has more control over the game and less factors to take into account, so in a way it becomes more tense – you don’t have the luxury of making many mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for your answer.

Even if you may be a bit biased, do you recommend it for 2 player only? I mean did you enjoyed it? Or if you buy the game for 3 or 4 player, you can played it with 2 as a training?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sure, I'm biased, but…
It's definitely not "just training". I play it a lot with my gf and we really enjoy it. In a 2-player game you’ll use a lot of “area denial” tactics, so to speak, that are harder to pull off with more players. There’s a lot less chance involved and a lot more strategizing to do, so actually some Polish players say its better with 2 players. The one thing absent in a 2-player game are the informal, temporary alliances that players form to win some of the fights – with 2 players its almost entirely confrontational (and that’s not a bad thing, just a matter of preference).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
If your GF accepted to play a lot with you, it should be a grEat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Well, she is the girlfriend of the game designer, she might be biased too ;D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.