JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill is a big hit with our group, and so this has piqued my interest.
Do the two games have similarities ?
How does the horror theme compare to Betrayal, if Level 7 is too dark it won't fly.
Is there a release date for Australia ?

Thanks folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Schoonover
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has some similarities to Betrayal. It's a tile exploration game, and the events systems have a few things in common, but there are a lot of differences.

The biggest difference is that all the players are always on the same team. The enemies are controlled by the rules, and the players are trying to escape.

It's semi-cooperative because there are times when you can choose to do something bad to someone else to help yourself, but there is no point where one of the players becomes the "bad guy".

Having played a decent amount of Betrayal, the horror level feels pretty comparable, maybe even a little lower. Some of the tiles have some blood splatters. There are monsters and they attack you, but it is pretty abstract in the gameplay.

As far as a release date in Australia, our release dates are world wide. It comes out in September. I'd check with your local distributor/store and ask if they are going to carry it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Will, your answers are what I wanted to hear, it's sounding very promising.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Sullivan
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, from our experience with Level 7, I'd stick with Betrayal At House on the Hill. There's a lot in L7 that seems really promising, but without a lot of time deciphering a rulebook that appears to have been written by someone that already knew how to play fluently, the good stuff is buried. We did not ever really get any sense of fear out of it apart from "Wow, the aliens are kinda nasty looking", there was none of the tension inherent in the endgame of Betrayal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conspyre wrote:
Personally, from our experience with Level 7, I'd stick with Betrayal At House on the Hill. There's a lot in L7 that seems really promising, but without a lot of time deciphering a rulebook that appears to have been written by someone that already knew how to play fluently, the good stuff is buried. We did not ever really get any sense of fear out of it apart from "Wow, the aliens are kinda nasty looking", there was none of the tension inherent in the endgame of Betrayal.

Thanks Bill,

Reinforces what I am thinking. From reading the posts since gencon I have kinda gone off this game, which is a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.