Hide
9 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of questions after first time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilkka Syrjäkari
msg tools
Recently got the game and played for the first time yesterday and loved it. However, I have a couple of questions:

1) When the Fellowship is going to Mordor, they have to declare in either Morannon or Minas Morgul, correct? When declaring, does a hunt happen? We played this as no hunt as the Fellowship is still hidden, but it still bothered us. Also, after declaring, does the Free People player need to use an action die to move the ringbearer to the 0 step of the Mordor track or does it move automatically after declaring?

2) If as a shadow player I take control of a town or a city, and then leave with my army, will this area stay in my control and am I able to muster troops here until a Free People player comes and takes back the control?

3) Probably a silly question but for example can you only muster Rohan troops in Rohan areas or are you allowed to muster other nations troops as well? What about when taking over areas?

Thanks in advance,
Ilkka

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ilkka,

welcome to the wonderful world of War of the Ring.

1) Declaring the Fellowship happens in the Fellowship phase at the start of the turn, and no hunt happens for declaring. The Fellowship is moved to step 0 of the Mordor track immediately, no action is necessary to do that.

2) The area will stay under your control (that's what the control markers are for), but you can't muster there. You can never muster in a foreign nation's settlements.

3) Only Rohan troops in Rohan. See 2) above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No hunt tile is drawn after declaration if the FSP is still hidden. After resolving the declaration, you can then set the FSP figure on the 0 space of the Mordor track. From now you will still need a action die to (try to) move the FSP on the track.

2. You remain in control (via your control marker) of a region with a captured settlement even if you have no more army unit there. Once a FP unit moves there though, you will lose control (and any gained victory points). You can never recruit in a settlement that originally belonged to your enemy, even if you captured it (Any of you elves joining the occupying orc hordes? No? Didn't think so...).

3. You can only muster units that are native to the nation in which the settlement is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had these questions about entering Mordor.
Tako wrote:
1. No hunt tile is drawn after declaration if the FSP is still hidden. After resolving the declaration, you can then set the FSP figure on the 0 space of the Mordor track.

A) Why do you say "if the FSP is still hidden"? I think if the FSP is not Hidden you can not declare it. Or am I wrong?

B) The rules also speek about "after fully resolving the declaration of the Fellowship's position if necessary". What does "fully resolve de declaration" stands for? Does it just means moving the ring-bearers to Morannon or Minas Morgul an reseting to 0 the Fellowship Progress Counter. What more is needed to be done for resolving the declaration?

Besides that.
C) When entering mordor do you return only eye-tiles plus special-tiles to the Hunt Pool? No normal numbered-tiles?

D) Can the Fellowship still take casualties in Mordor for reducing the damage?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for using the same thread, but I thought it is related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A) Yes, the Fellowship must be hidden in order to be declared, but ...

B) There are certain game effects (such as the Balrog of Moria Event card, that can cause the Fellowship to be revealed after being declared in some circumstances.

C) Only the Eye tiles are returned to the Hunt Pool (if they have not been permanently removed from the game by a game effect). The Special tiles are added to the Hunt Pool (not returned, as they were not there previously).

D) Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:

Tako wrote:
1. No hunt tile is drawn after declaration if the FSP is still hidden. After resolving the declaration, you can then set the FSP figure on the 0 space of the Mordor track.

A) Why do you say "if the FSP is still hidden"? I think if the FSP is not Hidden you can not declare it. Or am I wrong?

It Depends which edition you are playing: Normally the FSP must be hidden to declare during the Fellowship phase. For entering Mordor, though, 2nd edition made an exception.

From the Ares website (http://www.aresgames.eu/1518):

To enter Mordor, it is now sufficient that the Ring-bearers are located in Minas Morgul or Morannon, without requirement of declaring the Fellowship. As a consequence, the Fellowship can enter Mordor even if it is not Hidden (see page 43).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafamir wrote:
To enter Mordor, it is now sufficient that the Ring-bearers are located in Minas Morgul or Morannon, without requirement of declaring the Fellowship. As a consequence, the Fellowship can enter Mordor even if it is not Hidden (see page 43).
Ups...is that really so?!?! I'm playing 2nd Edition.
I don't understand it so directly from the rules.
Rules say:
Quote:
"If the Fellowship is in Minas Morgul or Morannon during a Fellowship Phase, the Free Peoples player may decide to enter Mordor. In this case, immediately proceed to the following steps (after fully resolving the declaration of the Fellowship's position, if necessary)
It says "after fully resolving the declaration", so I understand implicitly that you have to declare the Fellowship before deciding to enter Mordor.

Hmmm....Now I'm reading again and it says "if necessary". Maybe I'm wrong. I will search the geek forums for this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conceded. I retract about my doubt.
Thanks a lot for opening up my eyes to something I would hardly had even questioned by myself.
After searching the geek-forums the most overwhelming argument is pointing directly to the rules on page 3, which states literaly the same as the article Rafamir pointed out at aresgames:
Quote:
NOTES ON THE SECOND EDITION...
Entering Mordor
To enter Mordor, it is now sufficient that the Ring-bearers are located in Minas Morgul or Morannon, without requirement of declaring the Fellowship. As a consequence, the Fellowship can enter Mordor even if it is not Hidden
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico34fr nico34fr
France
flag msg tools
you sometimes need to declare to be in moranon or minas morgul during the FSP phase, that's why it is said "if necessary"
exemple : FSP figure is in Dagorlad and the ring show hidden face on step 1 of FSP track. On the FSP phase you MUST declare in moranon to enter mordor thus you must "fully resolve declaration" in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.