Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

D-Day Dice: MGF Dice» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternative MGF rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hei all,

Motivated by the post in http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/831029/does-anybody-else-fee..., I started thinking alternative definitions of the MGF dice.

Basically, the new MGF dice is much weaker than the standard d6. Unless you roll a skull, whatever losses you get can be countered with one die (whereas the expected losses for the d6 is two dice).

So I thought of the following change: you roll TWO dice and add up the results. The losses of each side are the usual, except for skull that it is 3 soldiers AND it doubles the losses of the other die.

In average, the expected losses are 28/12 = 2,333 soldiers AND 14/12 = 1,166 other resources (see math below). The expected losses is exactly 3.5 resources, which is exactly the same as the with the d6 dice (but with more variance).

What do you think?

By the way, the math is as follows:

If the second die is not a skull (5 out of 6 chances), the expected number of soldier losses is from the first die is 1 (you can lose 1, 2 or 3...and 3 chances of not losing a soldier). If the second die is a skull (1 in 6 chances), the losses are doubled.

In all, the expected number of soldier losses from a die are:
(5/6)*(1+2+0+0+0+3)/6 + (1/6)*(2+4+0+0+0+6)/6=7/6

Similarly, it can be seen taht the expected losses of other resources is:
(5/6)*(0+0+1+1+1+0)/6 + (1/6)*(0+0+2+2+2+0)/6=7/12
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I like the idea of these MGF dice. I think the game is supposed to be brutal by design. You are supposed to lose copious amounts of soldiers, not a tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
senorcoo wrote:
I don't think I like the idea of these MGF dice. I think the game is supposed to be brutal by design. You are supposed to lose copious amounts of soldiers, not a tool.

Notice that in this variant you may end up losing 12 soldiers (if you get a double skull). Besides, you need to plan further (having two extra of each resource) or you'll end up losing 6 soldiers...

In all, I think that the number of losses will be large, without being ridiculous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

MGF with the special dice makes it so that the machine guns can mess with your plans much more than just lowering your soldier count. It can be a real pain to lose a courage after you thought you had banked enough for your next move. The MGF dice also encourage you to keep at least one tool, star, and courage in reserve, because if you are ever hit for one of these and have none, you lose 6 soldiers!

I see the MGF dice as making the machine guns more like suppressive fire than just soldier-slaughtering. It's nice that you have the option to use them. I like them, because I find that they inflict confusion and chaos on the units they target, and that feels right. I still use the regular d6s for mines, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.