Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm finding that most of my 13 C&C SB games end up with one side having only one or zero banners at the end. Its not always the same side, even in the same scenario, but I'm wondering if others are having a similar experience. Is this a general aspect of the game for you, or are some of your games coming out with closer scores?

The three exceptions to this have been: 6-4, 5-3, and 6-2. Now that's more like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried having the players swap sides and playing the same scenario again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In three times for the intro scenario, two were "next banner wins" for both sides and the other was 5-3.

But two of them certainly included surprise surges where one side scored scored several banners quickly and might have been less close very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing solo or head to head?

It sounds like either bad card play or poor dice rolls.

Of the dozen or so games I've played most were real nail bitters.
We usually end up with many depleted units that should have been killed but through Dragon cards they mange to hang on.

Most of the games were won by 2 banners... but by looking at the aftermath carnage the games were a lot closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I have played a lot of C&C games (albeit solitaire.) Just keep in mind they aren't simulations; they are low complexity war games that are designed to be quick and easy (and for the most part, they are.) Because of the nature of the design, dice rolls and the cards you get do have a big influence on the outcome many times. With that being the case, lopsided scores will happen sometimes. But for the most part, I get a lot of close score games, also. Good gaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Tyler said, you really have to switch sides then see who came up with the most points between the two games to determine the winner. I believe I have even read that in some of the other C&C game manuals. Unless you are playing some kind of campaign that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas, I haven't had the pleasure of playing C&C Samurai Battles yet (hope to remedy that in the next month...) but am expecting it to play a lot like BattleLore, where coordinating the command and lore (in Samurai, Dragon) cards can create some vicious attacks and counter attacks. At times these lead to games that end one-sided in terms of banner counts, but almost without exception there are shifts in the momentum of the battles regardless the final outcome. I would wager that repeated plays of the scenarios will bare this out, taking into account any imbalances inherent to the scenario's starting qualities (one armer "stronger" than another, better positioning/terrain, higher command values, etc.).

Sorta an aside, but I've never found the "switch sides and add banner totals to determine winner" to be a very satisfying way of crowning someone over a couple of games. The games can vary so greatly depending on the Command and Dragon cards that each side encounters, and playing a second game knowing one only needs X number of banners instead of a straight victory skews the play further. Anyway, I won't argue about any way that leads to more plays laugh just adding my 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part about "swap sides and play again" is that it's the fastest way to get playing again, and have some change to what you just experienced.

With CCA, we've sometimes played 3, 4, or even 5 times in a row. The total banner count is of only marginal importance. It's the play experience that matters most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all battles are equal I'm guessing, thus each take a turn playing the other side and then add the totals together to see who came out on top. Or just play them again and again with the same result.(and same winner - just make sure you take the side with the advantage )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.