Subject: Using two games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I haven't even gotten my first copy yet, and I realize this is probably a luxury, but would there be any advantage to having two copies of the game?
Thanks in advance.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only advantage I can think of would be to be able to have two characters of the same class in a party. Like two disciples, or two necromancers, or whatever. And the extra set of dice would be cool.

But neither of those is worth the cost of an extra copy, I don't think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played to the interlude of my first campaign, and so far I have not seen any reason to buy a second copy. Other than the following reasons:

1) You're painting the minis and you want replacements in case you make a mistake.

2) There are some instances of quests where if certain conditions are met the OL can go above the monster limit for that group. If you are playing with 4 heroes then there aren't enough minis to account for the extra monsters you might get so you'll have to proxy with tokens. But this is a rare condition to begin with and the OL needs to fulfil a specific condition in the quest for this to even happen....so....

3) If you're motivated to make your own quests, extra map pieces are always useful! Or even use the map pieces for D&D.

Perhaps other users may come up with other reasons why it might be benefitical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
The only advantage I can think of would be to be able to have two characters of the same class in a party. Like two disciples, or two necromancers, or whatever. And the extra set of dice would be cool.

But neither of those is worth the cost of an extra copy, I don't think.

And having two necromancers....might be GG for the OL.....I'm having a tough time even against one necromancer as it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
The only advantage I can think of would be to be able to have two characters of the same class in a party. Like two disciples, or two necromancers, or whatever.

Note that that is against the rules, though not sure why (other than component limits).

Quote:
And the extra set of dice would be cool.

Almost worth it right there. Since there's only one attack die, there have been many times already that I wish I had at least one more set. But I imagine FFG will be releasing separate sets of the dice soon so probably not worth it.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Note that that is against the rules, though not sure why (other than component limits).

Yeah, I always assumed that the rule only exists because of component limits. You just know that if that rule weren't there, some yahoo would have rushed in here to ask what they should do if they want to play two of the same class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBurd wrote:
2) There are some instances of quests where if certain conditions are met the OL can go above the monster limit for that group. If you are playing with 4 heroes then there aren't enough minis to account for the extra monsters you might get so you'll have to proxy with tokens. But this is a rare condition to begin with and the OL needs to fulfil a specific condition in the quest for this to even happen....so....

I know of a few quests where this is possible, but as far as I know all of those quests aren't able to go beyond what's packaged in the game, even if they go past the normal limit. Do you know of a quest where that's possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Healex
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I always assumed that rule was in place to maintain/force diversity.

Since certain classes are better/weaker on different encounters which the heroes/overloard can leverage to their advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
I know of a few quests where this is possible, but as far as I know all of those quests aren't able to go beyond what's packaged in the game, even if they go past the normal limit. Do you know of a quest where that's possible?

The only instance that I have found is with rolling dice. The rule book says that if you need more dice than are available, you can record the results of the roll and then re-roll any additional dice that are needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrHealex wrote:

Since certain classes are better/weaker on different encounters which the heroes/overloard can leverage to their advantage.

I would almost agree if they said only one archetype could be played. But they didn't make that restriction, they restricted classes. So in a 2 player game, the Hero player could play with both the Spirit Speaker and the Disciple if he wanted. So the only reason I can think of why they restricted to classes is due to component limitations.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
As has been suggested, I was thinking the main benefits would be the ability to play duplicate hero types, having extra creatures (if needed), and definitely having extra dice. I'm a big proponent of having plenty of dice available when playing a game.

And yep, hopefully FFG will release extra dice sets.

Thanks all for the responses.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Healex
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
shnar wrote:
DrHealex wrote:

I would almost agree if they said only one archetype could be played. But they didn't make that restriction, they restricted classes. So in a 2 player game, the Hero player could play with both the Spirit Speaker and the Disciple if he wanted. So the only reason I can think of why they restricted to classes is due to component limitations.

-shnar

I feel that the classes have enough differences within their archtypes. Knights and Beserkers for example, are played/approched differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Houserule in an epic variant where 8 heroes take on monster groups twice as big as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.