Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starfighters, Droids, Rookies, and Legends

We get to see several pilots and upgrade cards. Can't wait to get this at Gen Con. I will be playing in the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the fact the ships arent made super powered by having the better pilots as far as stats are concerned, although it seems that in the core set the rebel pilots are far outclassing the imperials. I wonder what the reccomended points value for a game will be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gen Con tournament uses a 100 point limit. At that amount you could get four X-Wings with average pilots and not much equipment. Or you could get six TIEs with average to pretty good pilots. Need to see how much Y-Wings and Advanced TIEs cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I found interesting in this preview. Upgrade cards do not have faction icons on them and while that could easily be restricted by the upgrade icons being unique to each faction we already have an example against this. Marksmanship and Determination both have the same upgrade icon. So I assume either Luke or Mauler Mithel could use either of these cards.

A question I would have though is can either of these pilots spend the points to equip both, or does a single upgrade card "use" the upgrade icon on the pilot. This would make sense, since you can't fit 2 astromechs into a XWing, but if I'm willing to spend the points why can't I have Marksmanship and Determination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironman99 wrote:
I like the fact the ships arent made super powered by having the better pilots as far as stats are concerned, although it seems that in the core set the rebel pilots are far outclassing the imperials. I wonder what the reccomended points value for a game will be?

Rebels only slightly outclass the Imperials. A "rookie" X-wing pilot has skill 2, and a "rookie" Tie pilot has skill 1.
The rookie X-wing costs 21pts, the rookie Tie costs 12. The difference between X-wings and Ties, is that X-wings have 2 shields, and Ties have better agility. Also, different maneuvers (Target lock, barrel rolls, etc), which are hard to quantify.

In general, the Imperial forces will outnumber the Rebels by about 2 to 1. 100 points seems to be the "typical game" limit, which makes 4 Rebels max and 8 imperials max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:

In general, the Imperial forces will outnumber the Rebels by about 2 to 1. 100 points seems to be the "typical game" limit, which makes 4 Rebels max and 8 imperials max.

Oh my god, it's me or this game will be a little too expensive? Around 12 euro for one piece , 50 for rebels and the double for imperials for a good size battle? Around 32 euros for a core set with just 2/1 pieces and you can play only a 1/4 of a normal battle size? It's too much guys, how much fun you can have with just the core set? A 5 minute battle?

A little angry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
dvang wrote:

Oh my god, it's me or this game will be a little too expensive? Around 12 euro for one piece , 50 for rebels and the double for imperials for a good size battle? Around 32 euros for a core set with just 2/1 pieces and you can play only a 1/4 of a normal battle size? It's too much guys, how much fun you can have with just the core set? A 5 minute battle?

A little angry...

It´s just you, as I pointed out early it´s actually cheaper in Europe than it´s competition, core set is 25,50 Euros, singles are 8,95.
With all the customiziation through pilots, abilities and equipment just in the core set, you will have much more fun than for 5 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love reading these previews, but I tend to dread them as well because they keep making me spend money. My original pre-order was about $50, which became $100 when I realized the great value in the starter (at Online Game Store mark-downs). Now i'm thinking I might need to throw another $50 at the game to hit 100pts with both factions.

Still, between upgrades, pilots, etc... you get a lot of gameplay "bang" for your buck, for what amounts to about $9 per unit in the long-run.

As for having a fun game with two/three ships... I will make the dread comparison by bringing up Wings of War/Glory, but i've been playing that game constantly, and a one-on-one duel can be totally satisfying. In fact, two players, each controlling two-planes has been my favorite way to play thus far. Total investment for that is less than $50 with one of their great starter-boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dvang wrote:
ironman99 wrote:

Rebels only slightly outclass the Imperials. A "rookie" X-wing pilot has skill 2, and a "rookie" Tie pilot has skill 1.
The rookie X-wing costs 21pts, the rookie Tie costs 12. The difference between X-wings and Ties, is that X-wings have 2 shields, and Ties have better agility. Also, different maneuvers (Target lock, barrel rolls, etc), which are hard to quantify.

I think this is the very limit in units, a typical game would more likely be 2 on 4 or something.
These kind of games aren´t mass combat games, so at a certain point they get less fun with more units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this was a great article. Lots of meat on it.

I'm not gonna stress about the money. I'm getting one of each product to start, and if it's fun, I'll buy more. That simple. As a Y-wing fan, I'll probably have to invest in at least 1 additional Y-wing after this first order, if not 2 for a three-Y-wing squad. Still, until I see the Y-wing pilots and abilities, I'm not going to purchase extras. I just have to keep telling myself that the point of this game is to have fun, not to have every combination of squads I could possibly make. From that point of view, I am all for a buy-a-bit-and-see-how-you-go approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone C.
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:

It´s just you, as I pointed out early it´s actually cheaper in Europe than it´s competition, core set is 25,50 Euros, singles are 8,95.
With all the customiziation through pilots, abilities and equipment just in the core set, you will have much more fun than for 5 minutes.

I live in Italy and 26€ for core and 9€ for boosters are a dream! Even maelstromgames set them to 32€ and 13€, the lowest i find until now. It remains a money sink to me at least here in europe (as always)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mailok wrote:
dvang wrote:

A little angry...

Calm down. I'm sure you can play and have fun with fewer ships... and those are the "maximum" ships at 100 points. A player could take a high-experience pilot with a fully upgraded ship which will "cost" more in points. A rebel player could feasibly have 2 X-wings in 100 points (with each costing nearly 50 pts), while an Imperial player might have 4.

Buying 2 Core Sets is the way to go, since you get 1 X-wing and 2 Ties per box, plus movement templates, plus dice.
It's ~$40 retail, although you can get it cheaper for like $26-$30 elsewhere online.

So, 2 core sets ($60) could potentially net you 100 points worth of ships.

Don't forget this is a miniature game. Most miniature games (or even card games) pretty much require ~$100 minimum to be spent to make a "tournament" force/deck.

For $100 you can add another 3-4 ships (at $10-$15 per), which easily covers the 100 point spread unless you want the max of cheap rookie pilots.

So, please calm down. The cost is not excessive. The "100 points" is for FFG tournaments. You can easily play with fewer points and still have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the total cost is very reasonable for a miniatures game to have all the rules and 2 complete forces.

Think of blood bowl, costs about £30 per team now, and thats cheap for a full side for a games workshop game. heroclix can be expensive to get what you want. Descent has a lot of miniatures but they are much lower quality and unpainted, and that has a much larger cost.

I think derek is right, when you think the game of thrones house expansions are over £20 and a chapter pack is £10 and all that gets you is cards x wing isnt too bad. I might be lucky in the fact I have a good job right now and the total cost isnt a lot out of my monthly budget, and I realise that when I was younger this may have been priced out of my reach so I can understand why others think it is expensive, but compared to other games I dont think it is any more expensive, and as a fact the whole board and miniatures gaming hobby is expensive and getting more expensive every year..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And look at it this way.... We're in a crazy hobby, but simultaneously an amazing one when considering cost/entertainment ratio.

On one hand, I just spent $150 on an order of Dust Tactics units... but painting them, and then playing them with a friend or two, and my girlfriend, will provide dozens and dozens of entertainment hours (hundreds if I add in painting time for myself, potentially). In a world where eating a very, very, casual lunch out for two, can cost $30... I think all is well.

I spent $100, way back when, on a starter set for two players, of Warhammer 40k. That $100 doesn't get me nearly enough of any unit to show up at a Warhammer game night, and stand and fighting chance... so one could argue that the investment is terrible. And yet, my girlfriend and I painted it and learned to love the game and universe through it, so its value was incalculable.

Meanwhile, at the end of the day, a $100 investment in X-wing Miniatures will get you at least one of everything that will exist by that point, even at MSRP, and likely a whole lot more at good online pricing. That will let two people play countless arrangements of forces and probably yield hundreds of hours of play-time. Considering Space Hulk cost me $150, Sedition Wars and Zombicide $200 (and I haven't even received those yet...) and hell... Pixel Lincoln another $50 (for a small deck of cards), I am EAGERLY awaiting a chance to give Fantasy Flight my X-wing money.

Game cannot come out soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.