Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: heinlein [+] [View All]
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Researchers at Harvard’s Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering are swimming in 2.6 million DARPA bucks thanks to a new smart suit design. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, put a call out to design a sort of under-camo system that soldiers could use to maintain an extremely high level of physical endurance. The Harvard engineers’ response looks something like a series of athletic braces that connect from over the shoulders to a belt around the waist to kneepads to booties. The Harvard Gazette describes the system:
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/07/smart-suit-imp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Vindolanda
Britannia
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Now all we need are the suicidal bugs popping out of distant caves. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
But these guys have no heads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
But these guys have no heads!

Sure they do - they're just wearing stealth hats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..and Stealth Genitalia..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
..and Stealth Genitalia..

Oh, God -- we're actually inching towards becoming the Mattel vision: Ken Dolls!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the trend continues, equipping an individual soldier may become so expensive that we're unlikley to put them at risk.

And maybe that's a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1964, they already knew what the future of mechanized soldiers would be like ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Doodads designed for the infantry are always stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sbirakos
Australia
Canberra, ACT
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A spin off in the technology is that it will help the elderly and those that are physically handicapped. That I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
In 1964, they already knew what the future of mechanized soldiers would be like ...

A great original Outer Limits episode that I believe they remade in the later syndicated Outer Limts series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the suits in Prometheus best of all. Biomechanical and compliments the muscles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Mallet wrote:

A great original Outer Limits episode that I believe they remade in the later syndicated Outer Limts series.

Written, btw, by Harlan Ellison, based on his short story, "Soldier of the Future." One of the two Outer Limits he did (the other being "Demon with a Glass Hand") for which he sued James Cameron for ripping off in creating "The Terminator." The suit was settled out of court, and Cameron sneers at the affair as a nuisance suit to this day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:

Yeah, it just reduces the budget for Marine Corps doodads . But seriously folks, doodads for the military eventually get turned into useful stuff for civilians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

Looks like future soldiers strap landlines on their back ... Something to be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:
... But seriously folks, doodads for the military eventually get turned into useful stuff for civilians.

They've done such a great job with automatic weapons. Sorry, couldn't resist. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
We already HAVE, ever since they'd 'instituted' that "Soldiery = Citizenry" programs! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
MisterG wrote:
gvonl wrote:
... But seriously folks, doodads for the military eventually get turned into useful stuff for civilians.

They've done such a great job with automatic weapons. Sorry, couldn't resist. whistle
robot the: "Dark NIGHTMARE of PRS Arisened"! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I carried lasers and optics and body armor, none of which helped me in the missions I performed. The doodads themselves were pretty impressive.

gvonl wrote:
BeatPosse wrote:

Yeah, it just reduces the budget for Marine Corps doodads . But seriously folks, doodads for the military eventually get turned into useful stuff for civilians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
I carried lasers and optics and body armor, none of which helped me in the missions I performed. The doodads themselves were pretty impressive.

That raises the thought that the 'awesome tech' just might distract a green soldier just out of high school & raised on Silicon, instead of paying attention to his Real World environ. (like tourists today: all with their noses in their smart phones vs. Living IN the place they've come to visit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Eldard wrote:
Mallet wrote:

Written, btw, by Harlan Ellison, based on his short story, "Soldier of the Future." One of the two Outer Limits he did (the other being "Demon with a Glass Hand") for which he sued James Cameron for ripping off in creating "The Terminator." The suit was settled out of court, and Cameron sneers at the affair as a nuisance suit to this day.

I re-viewed the whole original Outer Limits series a few months ago.

At the time, that series was the "state of the art".

In many of these short films, one would unfortunately have to acknowledge that the "state of the art" has not aged very well. shake

But it is fun to see how this whole series taken together captures very well a way of of life and a way of thinking that was prevalent during the times depicted.

They purported to describe the future, but every little tidbit screams "the present", or rather, our past ...

My favourite is "the man with the power". Timeless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
But it is fun to see how this whole series taken together captures very well a way of of life and a way of thinking that was prevalent during the times depicted.

They purported to describe the future, but every little tidbit screams "the present", or rather, our past ..

Well observed. Film and TV is and always has been a product of its time, perhaps inescapably so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Now all we need are the suicidal bugs popping out of distant caves. robot

Bring Them On!

Afterall, "Bugs like it hot":
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-07-23/summer-bu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
US soldiers to wear blast sensors to collect wartime shock data:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/30/soldier-body-unit/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
That 'suit' STILL won't 'explain' the *significance* of the accompanying "rainbow!" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.