Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Royce Roeswood
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but an issue came up in our game last night and I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for.

One player had Forest Barbarians, and conquered a few forest spaces. On his next turn, because he wanted to keep those spaces defended (since he knew he would not be redistributing) he took all but one tile off of all his other spaces to attack with, but he did not take any tiles off of the forest spaces.

With any other race, I would say, "Yeah, you could do that, it would be just like taking all the tiles off and then just putting some of them back when you redistribute." So, in most situations, it doesn't matter. But Barbarians can't redistribute, which is why this issue cropped up.

So, my question is, if you attack on your turn, do you have to take all the extra tiles from all your spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain the answer is, what he did is what was intended.

The barbarians drawback is that they cannot redistribute, not that they cannot leave defenses.

By leaving extra barbarians to defend his forests, he is also giving up the possibility to conquer more territory. If, for example, he leaves three pieces on three forests, he's left 6 pieces that another race would have gotten to use, basically given up 2-3 conquests this turn. Seems a fair trade off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Roeswood
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my thought, but the wording in the rulebook is as follows:

"Leaving in place one Race token in each Region they occupy, the player may take all his other Active Race tokens from the map back in hand and use them to conquer new Regions." (emphasis mine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonroof wrote:
That was my thought, but the wording in the rulebook is as follows:

"Leaving in place one Race token in each Region they occupy, the player may take all his other Active Race tokens from the map back in hand and use them to conquer new Regions." (emphasis mine).

Ok, but if the wording was "the player must take all..."

or "the player will take all..."

or "the player takes all..."

Would those be closer to what you want/need it to read?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
mbmbmbmbmb
Base Game Rulebook wrote:
Leaving in place one Race token in each Region they occupy, the player may take all his other Active Race tokens from the map back in hand and use them to conquer new Regions.

This quote is a general explanation of how the conquest phase of your turn works. It is worth noting that Barbarians are not from the base game, and the racial power they have has to do with a limitation placed upon them during the redeployment phase, later in your turn. Because of the limitation placed on them (few powers are limitation powers) a smart player will adapt--just the way your friend did in your example--often by foregoing the use of some of his would-be attackers & leaving them behind to guard critical regions. Since this does not violate the wording of the base game, not only is there no problem with his choice, I'd go so far as to say that's the way the expansion was intended to be played.

You "may" muster all of your extra tokens for new conquests, but you are not required to. You may actually leave more than one race token in each region you occupy--the rulebook is just pointing out that when you do muster your attackers on a turn you need to leave at least one token in each region to continue occupying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.