Subject: Decks in the Dwarrowdelf: Part Four rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3437

Amazing new cards. I even like the new lore event.

Why can't tactics get cards like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a new secrecy deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, just wow. Amazing cards there. The threat on the hero is ridiculous, but he is quite a stud, especially with his attachment. I can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Overweg
United States
ZEELAND
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some really cool card there. I am imagining a few different really cool decks you could make with these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Very powerful hero and his ring also. He have most high starting threat in the game now.
Looks like they start support solo game more then coop.
In my opinion thanks heroes like New Glorifindel and Elrond solo decks will be much more powerful then before.Now is possible build up solo decks which ones can win any quest include even Dol-Guldor.

But coop games with those heroes can be really walk in the park then.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting note about "Peace, and Thought"

It says that it's a Refresh Action. That means that you have to play this card after you ready all your Heroes. So, you don't have the luxury of keeping Heroes ready, then exhausting them for this event right before you ready them again. Instead, you have to choose to enter the next turn with 2 exhausted Heroes.

Very cool and thematic mechanic. Also makes it a tough choice to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
I have a new secrecy deck...

Yea that was my first thought as well. Glorfindel and Elrond together should have what it takes to play secrecy. Although it is a shame you have to miss out on Timely Aid and it is extremely tempting to add another hero like Legolas to take advantage of the variable resource. I've been searching for a way to fund eagles with ziggy/gazer in a versatile fashion. I think I have my answer.

Comboing with Warden is obvious and exceptionally powerful. And Beravor suddenly has a true competitor for all of those UCs with Elrond being a stud defender (more so with Burning Brand), great quester, and a powerful exhaust ability (with an attachment). It is going to be hard to take advantage of all of these things. I find myself wishing he had 2 less questing and 2 less threat . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I understand the last part of Elrond's text. Is it saying that if a character is healed by X, Elrond can automatically make it X+1? So if a character is fully healed, Elrond's effect would do nothing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
These last few packs make it seem really hard not to play Lore/Spirit. Bilbo is a natural fit(along with Glorspindel) given Peace and Thought, or Eleanor, as well as the high/low threat pairing of these two elves, plus the Asfaloth/Glorspindel combo, and Vilya/Imladris.

As much as I like the sphere combo, I do lament that I might be using Tactics even less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurahoshi wrote:
These last few packs make it seem really hard not to play Lore/Spirit...

As much as I like the sphere combo, I do lament that I might be using Tactics even less.

I'm hopeful that the Hobbit cards (about which I would sure love to see some previews!) will give the same love to Tactics/Leadership that Spirit & Lore have gotten recently. We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
GeckoTH wrote:
Interesting note about "Peace, and Thought"

It says that it's a Refresh Action. That means that you have to play this card after you ready all your Heroes. So, you don't have the luxury of keeping Heroes ready, then exhausting them for this event right before you ready them again. Instead, you have to choose to enter the next turn with 2 exhausted Heroes.

Very cool and thematic mechanic. Also makes it a tough choice to use.

Great catch.

Edit: Buuutttt.... since i usually don't activate Henemarth until the end of the attack phase I think it will still be pretty valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...Or with exhausted Unexpected Courages/Fast Hitches

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
That 13 threat!

And Refresh Action happens after players raise their threat and first player token is passed, before you take your resources for the new round....

With only 1 core set, suddenly Bilbo and Frodo with a Fast Hitch on each of them looks like good combo... then again why draw additional 5 cards when Bilbo is already on table?

For the first time, I find a sudden desire to buy additional core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does everyone read the Vilya card that you can trigger the effect anytime? They use the term "if able" which presumably is simply a reference to uniqueness and if there is an appropriate target (rather than it needing to be played during the planning phase).

If true, there is an interesting aspect of how they have constructed Vilya. It is now possible to put into play an attachment outside of the planning phase. A quick scan of the attachments doesn't present much in the way of interesting combos . . . with one major exception. Forest Snare can now be used to intercept an enemy in the combat phase. Of course this requires you have rigged the deck (with gazer or Gildor) to have Forest Snare on top of the deck for combat with have Elrond + Vilya ready. But there are definitely times where this would be exceedingly effective. Also note that Elronding a Forest Snare costs the same as a Feint with identical effects with the obvious exception that Forest Snare sticks around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansdavis wrote:
Not sure I understand the last part of Elrond's text. Is it saying that if a character is healed by X, Elrond can automatically make it X+1? So if a character is fully healed, Elrond's effect would do nothing?

...anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
ryansdavis wrote:
ryansdavis wrote:

...anyone?

From the card text, I would think so.

The real question is whether or not players have won or lost when you enter quest card 3B of Journey to Rhosgobel when Willyador has 6 wounds, 1 Athelas objective card under player's control, and Elrond as hero.

Quest card says heal 5 damage per Athelas, and if Willydor is healed completely, players have won the game, if not they have lost.

1 Athelas only heals 5 out of 6 wounds in the scenario I suggested, but will Elrond's response effect kick in time to heal that final wound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
ellareth wrote:
ryansdavis wrote:
ryansdavis wrote:

...anyone?

From the card text, I would think so.

The real question is whether or not players have won or lost when you enter quest card 3B of Journey to Rhosgobel when Willyador has 6 wounds, 1 Athelas objective card under player's control, and Elrond as hero.

Quest card says heal 5 damage per Athelas, and if Willydor is healed completely, players have won the game, if not they have lost.

1 Athelas only heals 5 out of 6 wounds in the scenario I suggested, but will Elrond's response effect kick in time to heal that final wound?

Hmm very good catch. By another card effect- this is Elrond text.
So on the last stage Eagle is healed by quest card text so is it another card effect right? Looks like yes why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Glaurung2 wrote:

So on the last stage Eagle is healed by quest card text so is it another card effect right? Looks like yes why not?

Well, the quest card says "When Revealed: Heal 5 wounds from Wilyador for each Athelas objective card the players control.
If Wilyador is completely healed when this effect resolves, Wilyador survives and the players have won the game. Otherwise, the players have lost the game. "

I don't know if "when this effect resolves" just means resolving Athelas, or resolving Athelas and any chain of responses that trigger off it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
ellareth wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:

Well, the quest card says "When Revealed: Heal 5 wounds from Wilyador for each Athelas objective card the players control.
If Wilyador is completely healed when this effect resolves, Wilyador survives and the players have won the game. Otherwise, the players have lost the game. "

I don't know if "when this effect resolves" just means resolving Athelas, or resolving Athelas and any chain of responses that trigger off it as well.

Elrond ability is response. So responses is always resolve before any when revealed effect or any action. Only force effect have priority so even response resolve after any force effects. So each athelas with Elrond will heal 6 wounds instead of normal 5.If Elrond game text can be apply for the Quest card game text. But looks like can or?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
With Vilya my impression was that you cannot play events with it, since events are never put into play, but the article suggests otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glaurung2 wrote:
ellareth wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:

Elrond ability is response. So responses is always resolve before any when revealed effect or any action. Only force effect have priority so even response resolve after any force effects. So each athelas with Elrond will heal 6 wounds instead of normal 5.If Elrond game text can be apply for the Quest card game text. But looks like can or?

If I get it correct, it would not be 6 per athelas. It would be 5 per athelas +1.
So with one athelas, it's 6, with two, it's 11, with 3, it's 16. (not 6,12,18)
It's not the athelas cards that heal the eagle, it's the quest card that heals 5 per athelas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
compton9890 wrote:
Does everyone read the Vilya card that you can trigger the effect anytime? They use the term "if able" which presumably is simply a reference to uniqueness and if there is an appropriate target (rather than it needing to be played during the planning phase).

I was thinking about this. I am pretty sure you can play (or put in play) allies or attachments in any phase. But you won't be able to play some cards still, like the new drawing card outside the refresh phase or response events like A Test of Will. Stargazer is the key here, I feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansdavis wrote:

Correct. It would only be helpful if (for instance) Self-Preservation or Daughter of the Nimrodel were used, and the character still had a wound on it.

It would also make Glorfindel's healing doubly effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldon Lima Da Silva
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They really trying their best to make us buy another core set for more unexpected courages shake

I dont like this new hero, it tend to fall under the same problem i have with beravor, just 1 exaust action only 1 unexpected courage...
Also the threath if way over my preference, but i may use him in the future when some new refresh abilities come up

If we have some type of official tourney to this game i foresee Peace and thought banned soon.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:
ellareth wrote:
Glaurung2 wrote:

If I get it correct, it would not be 6 per athelas. It would be 5 per athelas +1.
So with one athelas, it's 6, with two, it's 11, with 3, it's 16. (not 6,12,18)
It's not the athelas cards that heal the eagle, it's the quest card that heals 5 per athelas.

yes sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.