Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
By default.

How does that feel I wonder? Let's say you're in a motorcycle race and running in second place but the guy who is winning is a full minute ahead and after he wins the camera crews have already packed up and filed their story by the time you get to the lower, less-appealing, second step on the victory platform.

In short, you're as much a loser as the guy in 3rd place or 33rd place.

But then, in a stroke of luck for you, the winner dies and then it's revealed that his step-brother from his dad's 3rd marriage of 7 marriages but from when the champion was in High School, that step-brother was found guilty of showing his underpants to all the 2nd grade girls when he himself was in 4th grade. A general ruckus ensues and in the battle on the playground between the atheists, the Christians, the ACLU contingent, the LGBP pre-teen association, the NRA, Koch Brothers and the George Soros brigade, several people were injured and at least one child might have been molested. or, at the very least, troubled by the step-brother's underpants.

So, in retaliation for not being whatever he was supposed to be, all his wins are stripped from him and you get several of his trophies in the mail (with his name on them) and are now declared the God of Motorcycle Racing.

Man, that's gotta feel great. Especially when the bonus is that an entire region of a large state that you hate is now going to pay the price for being so stupid as to be unaware that somebody in their midst wasn't being honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Bowdon now the college football God
DWTripp wrote:
But then, in a stroke of luck for you, the winner dies and then it's revealed that his step-brother from his dad's 3rd marriage of 7 marriages but from when the champion was in High School, that step-brother was found guilty of showing his underpants to all the 2nd grade girls when he himself was in 4th grade. A general ruckus ensues and in the battle on the playground between the atheists, the Christians, the ACLU contingent, the LGBP pre-teen association, the NRA, Koch Brothers and the George Soros brigade, several people were injured and at least one child might have been molested. or, at the very least, troubled by the step-brother's underpants.

There's a perfectly reasonable argument to be made that sanctions for wrongdoing that didn't actually amount to cheating (i.e. wasn't doping, bribing refs, etc.) shouldn't include any changes to records. While I don't know why that sanction was made (and have not followed this case closely) I'd generally agree.

But why trivialize what happened? Why not just make the argument that even covering up child abuse shouldn't lead to vacated wins since the crime didn't cause those wins in any way? Why use such a tame analogy?

Quote:
Especially when the bonus is that an entire region of a large state that you hate is now going to pay the price for being so stupid as to be unaware that somebody in their midst wasn't being honest.

Not being aware? I thought the problem was that they deliberately covered it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
By default.

How does that feel I wonder? Let's say you're in a motorcycle race and running in second place but the guy who is winning is a full minute ahead and after he wins the camera crews have already packed up and filed their story by the time you get to the lower, less-appealing, second step on the victory platform.

In short, you're as much a loser as the guy in 3rd place or 33rd place.

So, in retaliation for not being whatever he was supposed to be, all his wins are stripped from him and you get several of his trophies in the mail (with his name on them) and are now declared the God of Motorcycle Racing.

Man, that's gotta feel great. Especially when the bonus is that an entire region of a large state that you hate is now going to pay the price for being so stupid as to be unaware that somebody in their midst wasn't being honest.

Great rant. You spelled Bowden wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Not being aware? I thought the problem was that they deliberately covered it up.

Has Paterno really been aware of anything in the last decade plus? I see no evidence to support that assertion.

I haven't followed this case at all; I'm just repeating what I heard was the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When they "take away" wins. What does that mean?

Do the record books still say PSU 10 opponent 3 with an asterisk that opponent "won?"

Edit: more to the point, in trivia games, what is the correct answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Has Paterno really been aware of anything in the last decade plus? I see no evidence to support that assertion.

The Freeh report found that Paterno knew of the 1998 criminal investigation of Sandusky (which Paterno denied in 2011) and that he and other university officials "repeatedly concealed critical facts" about Sandusky, for what that is worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

It doesn't hurt as much as having the esteemed Donald Wexler Tripp fail to spell your name properly in the most important corner of the internets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

It doesn't hurt as much as having the esteemed Donald Wexler Tripp fail to spell your name properly in the most important corner of the internets.

I thought it was Doris Winnifred Tripp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
When they "take away" wins. What does that mean?

Do the record books still say PSU 10 opponent 3 with an asterisk that opponent "won?"

Edit: more to the point, in trivia games, what is the correct answer?

According to what I've read, when a win is vacated in this fashion, neither team is credited with a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

I thought it was Doris Winnifred Tripp?

Well sure, her too, but you already pointed out her spelling error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

The Freeh report found that Paterno knew of the 1998 criminal investigation of Sandusky (which Paterno denied in 2011) and that he and other university officials "repeatedly concealed critical facts" about Sandusky, for what that is worth.

I was suggesting that he's actually been dead for 10 years, not that he was ignorant to just the facts of the case. Think of a 12-year run of Weekend at Bernie's. Sorry my sad attempt at humor was unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wrong, wrong, wrong shake

Tom Osborne is, was and forever shall be the lord almighty of college football - 3 National Championships in 4 years, bitches*

*Bollocks to Michigan, '97 was all us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:

The entire college? All the local businesses and employees? All the various athletic teams and departments? I guess I just don't see this reaction as anything but PC grandstanding.

As for spelling some jerkwater football coach's name right from a jerkwater nothing town in a swamp-infested state like Florida? Who cares? Bowden, Bowdon, BowWow, it's all the same. No doubt they forces of good will now refocus their efforts on the FSU team and reveal that BowWow was actively trying to cover up the serial murders committed over the span of decades by his defensive line, their coaches and most of the fan base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Seriously though, records is records is records - personal failings shouldn't be allowed to reshape the face of athletic history.

We already had the obligatory statue toppling, do we really need to purge the history books too? Those kids still won those games, do they deserve to be stripped of their wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

The entire college? All the local businesses and employees? All the various athletic teams and departments? I guess I just don't see this reaction as anything but PC grandstanding.

As for spelling some jerkwater football coach's name right from a jerkwater nothing town in a swamp-infested state like Florida? Who cares? Bowden, Bowdon, BowWow, it's all the same. No doubt they forces of good will now refocus their efforts on the FSU team and reveal that BowWow was actively trying to cover up the serial murders committed over the span of decades by his defensive line, their coaches and most of the fan base.

Funny you should mention it, but Bowden actually vacated some wins because of a (less salacious) scandal himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
But why trivialize what happened?

Everyone involved should just suck it up. Back in the day, if a kid got molested we just rounded up some good-ole-boys and took the peedofile down to the creek and threw that cocksucker in the water. If he floated, then he was a damn devil spawn and we shot that peedo. If he sank, well that was just too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
NEWSFLASH *** BREAKING NEWS *** NEWSFLASH *** BREAKING NEWS *** NEWSFLASH *** BREAKING NEWS *** NEWSFLASH *** BREAKING NEWS ***

This just in - the advisory committee that voided all the Penn State victories and championships has just completed a study of World War II. They have determined that revelations about Hitler's knowledge of the death camps during the war has caused them to void all victories, especially those against France.

HITLER BLITZKRIEG VICTORY AND CHAMPIONSHIPS VOIDED! DEGAULLE DECLARED THE WINNINGEST GENERAL OF WWII THAT WASN'T AMERICAN, BRITISH, RUSSIAN, ITALIAN, JAPANESE, POLISH, UKRAINIAN, FINNISH OR BASQUE.

A team of special historians will now be assembled to rewrite textbooks all across the globe once they get done revising American college football history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaking News: BGG User's satire neurons have overloaded and resulted in a Godwin breach conflating sports issues with genocide. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, my kids' high school (technically, their past and future high school at the time) had some wins "taken away." One of the kids (who, I guess* played a total of six minutes in the first two games) turned out to be ineligible due to grades. He was supposed to take summer school (and pass, those unreasonable standards) to make up a failed grade. The coach asked, he said he'd completed it and the coach didn't confirm. It was actually refreshing to see grades, at least incidentally come first.

* I only go to high school football games when one of my kids is marching at half time (and then only when I can't find something else to do [it was a nice year off, but my son is playing the tuba and a freshman this year {and he was my excuse with hockey practice several times last year. cry }])

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, and a bit of a digression, but where do/did you come down on all of Enron and Arthur Andersen being shuttered because of what the leadership of the former and an accounting partner of the latter did?

I know that the demise of Arthur Andersen resulted in about 28,000 people around the country losing their jobs, and almost none of them had anything to do with the Enron scandal. (I don't know how big Enron's workforce was, but most of them, too, were uninvolved.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda reminds me of how the "winner" of the Tour de France always ends up being whoever placed fourth or so, because the top few cyclists inevitably get busted for doping after the fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Concept of NCAA vacating wins is dumb as heck. Always has been, always will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, and a bit of a digression, but where do/did you come down on all of Enron and Arthur Andersen being shuttered because of what the leadership of the former and an accounting partner of the latter did?

I know that the demise of Arthur Andersen resulted in about 28,000 people around the country losing their jobs, and almost none of them had anything to do with the Enron scandal. (I don't know how big Enron's workforce was, but most of them, too, were uninvolved.)

Good question. I would have loved to see retro-active clawbacks from the bonuses paid the "leadership" to pay back what could be paid. Put the executives that committed fraud in jail and seen the companies continue. (At least Arthur Andersen, not sure there was much of Enron to save.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
traininthedistance wrote:
Kinda reminds me of how the "winner" of the Tour de France always ends up being whoever placed fourth or so, because the top few cyclists inevitably get busted for doping after the fact.

My son recently got drafted* for the high school mountain bike team. When I told my wife, she immediately started worrying about steroids...

*He's not good, yet, since he just started. We were at the same trail as the team and the coach recognized my daughter and asked why she wasn't on the team. Immediately after my daughter replied that she'd graduated, the coach pointed at my (to be a freshman) son and asked what grade he was. Before I came out of the trail, he was signed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Especially when the bonus is that an entire region of a large state that you hate is now going to pay the price for being so stupid as to be unaware that somebody in their midst wasn't being honest.
The ultimate price of... the... um... football team not being as good?

The horror!

Spend your money/time/energy on the Woman's Soccer team, you pansies, and stop complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.