Subject: Mage Style rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from what ive seen in the demo video there was a lot of summoning, does the game itself encourage that, or will it be possable to make a non summoning mage that casts more spells and such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely be a non-summoning mage. I've made several spellbooks using the Wizard that focus on all out attack spells or mana deprivation. I'll usually have 1 or 2 creatures in my book "just in case." There are so many different ways to play each mage, and it is a big part of the fun to try out different strategies/builds.

Also, the Forcemaster (one of the first expansion mages coming) is more of a non-summoning mage in her playstyle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fantastic thats just what i wanted to hear. i expected that was the case but i was looking for confirmation.

i deinately like the fire wall force push combo i heard so much about so id like to make a build with a few of those nasty combos plus the mana deprivaion stuff and enhanceing my own generation of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Henson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I've seen some players who prefer a more aggressive, "fireball 'em to death" style of play. While their opponent tries to set up, they move in, flinging attack spells, and engaging in direct combat. Basically, every move they make is meant to do damage to their opponent as quickly and swiftly as possible. (This is a strategy well suited to the Warlock for example).

This strategy has its pluses and minuses -- if you go for the throat in mad rush to deal damage, there can be no time for setting up for yourself. So, if the opponent mage is able to counter your attacks, and set up a decent defense, and summoning up a creature for support, suddenly the aggressive mage finds himself in a situation of two-on-one, and him without any defenses to speak of. It's a calculated risk, and it appeals to some player's personal style.

From what I have witnessed, summoning and direct assault are both viable options to win -- as is mana deprivation as John mentioned. The key is to learn how to react to your opponent's play style, and to build your spell book in such a way that you have contingencies for various styles of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hughes
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorite Mage I play tested was the warlock that very aggressively castes fire attack spells. There are good equipment that buff attack spells in this game. Even some of the equipment destruction act like attack spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite strategies is just to summon one giant creature, and then keep him alive through a series of Blocks, Nullifies, Reverse Attacks, etc. That way I can make sure that no attack ever hits him. Then, I buff him up and make him Fast, give him a strong Defense, more Armor, and then a powerful Melee Attack. So, in that case, the Mage isn't necessarily a "summoner" type, as he's only using one creature to do his bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.