Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Auer
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, I spent a lot of time playing solo games of Mage Knight. As both games seem to share quite a bit, I was wondering if I should by Runebound to have some alternative to Mage Knight.

How does it play as a solo game? Most reviews only cover the two or more player game. Unfortunately, my wife isn't very much into fantasy games :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just purchased both Runebound and Mage Knight in the last few weeks.

They don't have all that much in common, so liking MK doesn't automatically mean you will like Runebound.

That said, Runebound plays very nicely solo using the countdown timer rules by Mr. Skeletor (I use a deck of playing cards to implement it, so don't worry about having to buy one of the OOP modules to get the track that is suggested). Game's take appx 2-3 hours playing slowly. There are tons of little decisions to make.

Runebound is very accessible and easy to play. You'll have no problem introducing others to it; no rules reading in advance is necessary - I worry about trying to convince anyone to play MK with me.

Runebound doesn't quite have the same feeling of exploring an unknown map that MK has although you will have to do a bit of enemy hunting at the end game. Almost all encounters are blind but you'll have a feeling for how hard it is expected to be before you leap. There's nice gear to be had and the way you spend your well earned treasure is key to whether you do well or not.

It's a nice game for the price. I would say go for it. I watched a couple of the Lonesome Gamer videos to get a peek at it before jumping.

You may also want to check out the Lord Of The Rings Card Game which I have also recently picked up and which I personally feel is the best of all of them in seeking a soloable board game with a nice D&D feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started getting into runebound, I love it! It's one of the few games, I get into the story and read the flavor text. Whatever story you are playing, it really feels like that's whats going. Plus the big box expansions mix it up and add unique flavor. I liked it so much, I recently traded away mage knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben v Gastel
Netherlands
Agelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

As solitaire game Runebound is simply fantastic:

- Great story line that gives you the feeling you're truly part of it.
- Rules are perfectly balanced, you can grap it within a half an hour and it's very easy to explain to other players.
- Many expansions (both official and fan made), with new story lines, weapons, items , allies, worlds, etc.

For a even better solitaire experience you can try the Runebound solo rules by MrSkeletor: www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/49058

Playing Runebound with 2/3 and more players, still makes a very great game but be prepared for a long evening/day/weekend

That said.. if you're looking for something truly deep and complex, with the possiblity to explore a world that's different every time you play, and you don't care for a long session than I should suggest to stay with Mage Knight.

Where you can enjoy Runebound without to much brainwork, Mage Knight is a kind of puzzle game where you have to think out every possibility on you turn. That makes it a real challenge even as solitaire game.

To be honest it's quite difficult to compare Runebound and Mage Knight, yes both are fantasy adventure games but there's a big difference between the mechanics of the game.

My suggestions, read some (of the many) Runebound / Mage Knight reviews and if possible try to play it somewhere before you buy.

OOT: If you really have lot (and lot) of time and are looking for the most complex but most satisfying adventure board game ever, I suggest you take a look at Magic Realm

Grzt Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.