Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I searched for this question in the forums and FAQ, but didn't find it. Sorry if it's a duplicate.

The scenario: Player A uses the Sample Wares Intrigue card to place an Agent on a building in the Builders Hall. Player B then assigns his Agent to the Zoarstar building, which lets him use a building occupied by an opponent's Agent as if he assigned an Agent to it. Since one of the buildings in the Builders Hall has an opponent's Agent on it, can Player B use that building, even though it's not officially in play?

Initially I thought "yes", because there is an opponent's Agent present. Then I thought "no", because you can't assign an Agent to a building in the Builders Hall, and Zoarstar states the action is "as if he assigned an Agent to it." Thus my confusion.

I believe there is also an Intrigue card and a Quest card that provide the same benefit as the Zoarstar building, so I would like to know if the ruling is consistent for all sources of this effect. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We play that you can because an agent is there, regardless of how he got there. However, I thought we looked it up and found an official answer to confirm we played it correctly so I am not sure why it is not in the FAQ or some other official material.

I don't have my rules to check. Did you double check the appendix at the back of the rules which explains some of the trickier buildings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the designers confirmed somewhere on these forums that it counts, IIRC.

EDIT: Regardless, I think "Bribe Agent" and "Recover the Magister's Orb" have to work the same. The rules text is identical!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go with that. But it's definitely contrary to the rules on pg. 8 for assigning Agents, where it clearly says you can't assign an Agent to a building that not yet in play. So the first part of the Zoarstar instructions must trump the second part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer already confirmed it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.