Cyclades» Forums » General

Subject: How good is this with 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that 23% of voters do not recommend Cyclades with 3 players, why is that? I know many games are better with 4 players instead of 3, but is there anything specific to this game that really makes it worse for this player count?

If it is any help, many people on BGG don't love Endeavor with 3 players, and yet I love it with any number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siew
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I found that occasionally you'll have turns where both movement gods are not available, so you have to wait until the next round for movement. As a result, the game doesn't flow as well as it does with other player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had good results in 3 player games, but there is a definite risk for bad games. Because there is so much direct interaction between military conflicts and auctioning, it is pretty easy for a 2nd place player, in the end game, to get the 3rd place player to play kingmaker, leading to hurt and soured feelings.

With more than 3 players, this risk is slightly mitigated (and obviously eliminated completely with only 2). I've had great games with only 3, but you have to watch out for kingmaker/kingkiller play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hoppe
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game inherently is a kingmaker/kingkiller game. With 3 players this tends to be the case more often than not as it is with many 3 player direct conflict games. Additionally having only 2 of the 4 randomized gods at any time, feels like an incomplete game to me. 4 and 5 players is so much better in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Caladore wrote:
This game inherently is a kingmaker/kingkiller game. With 3 players this tends to be the case more often than not as it is with many 3 player direct conflict games. Additionally having only 2 of the 4 randomized gods at any time, feels like an incomplete game to me. 4 and 5 players is so much better in my opinion.

Yeah, it is inherently kingmaker/kingkiller, but I find it to be particularly egregious in 3 player games (as it always is), with two situations. Either two players completely dominate the third, who then is forced to choose the winner, or a close second can trick a third place player into killing the first place player and handing the win to second place. If you watch out for it, though, it can work.

The 2/4 gods thing never really bothered me. It alters the game radically, yes, but not negatively. I like the dynamic of knowing with certainty what two gods will be up next on every other turn. It is not, to my mind, better or worse 3/4 gods available (though a full 5 player game is my favorite).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on what everyone else has said. I LOVE this game, but I insist that all the gods get their butts in gear and work, therefore for me the game is best when they can all come out at the same time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.