Dylan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can the Russians actually win this?

Every time I have played this, the Germans take the high ground with the MGs and lay it down on the Soviets. Any suggestions on how to beat this strategy for this scenario?

Thanks.

Dylan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played this map one time going the other way on that night scenario #8. Sorry I can't help. If you get smoke or your units can make smoke, that's always effective in lowering Fire Attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Collars
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try substituting German LMGs for the German HMGs....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is what I was thinking. Is it possible that there is a typo and that those MGs really are light?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won once with the Russians, just because the German player moved his main force with Leader and one HMG too forward, and got in range of the Russians' fire group. He was broken by Fire, had no Recover, and two player turns later that advanced force was swept away in melee. But I was lucky. All the other plays I witnessed are German wins.

I see no way to counter a quick German deployment first in C6 (getting in sight of the Russians with one Move order) and then in D5.

NinetySixer wrote:
Try substituting German LMGs for the German HMGs....

This puzzles me, Bryan. Why are you suggesting that? Are you implying that the Scenario is unbalanced as published and needs some change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this twice as the Germans last night and (unknowingly) used a strategy similar to the one described above - a quick rush to D5/C6 area to interdict movement near the set-up area, and then using the reinforcements to plug gaps when small groups got through to the other side of the map.

Both times it was German victory. In the first game, there was a brief moment where it appeared that the Russian mortar might break the Germans in D5, but recovers came at the right time.

I think a key to the Russian strategy involves using the mortar to negate the forest terrain bonus in D5, as well as forming effective fire groups, but my opponent and I went over the results of both battles and found it hard to see a clear effective strategy for the Russians.

Amusingly, in our second game, after concentrating on the Russian mortar and knocking it out, my newly minted hero scrounged the mortar and proceeded to fire it furiously on the Russian SMGs now occupying D5 (my other forces had shifted focus after it was determined that Obj. #5 was more important), but in five attacks over three turns, only got the ordinance range roll once. (It's only six hexes from Obj. #5 to D5!)

10 points for enthusiasm, 2 for execution. [edit: clarification - rating my hero's efforts, not the scenario design!]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.