Rick Wright
England
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We have had a few games of CC:R and the Partisans seem to win quite easily. Any pointers as to how to beat them?

In CC:E, CC:M and CC we have found the scenarios to be nicely balanced on the whole and we are at a loss as to why this does not seem to be the case in CC:R.

All the best.

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of them as similar to the Japanese in CCacific and that seemed to help us.

Sewers are like caves, sort of. Partisans don't generally have the heavy firepower but can move and fight just fine as you've found out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which games have you played, and how did they play out?

Our Thirty-eight games of CC:R split 21/17 Partisans/Axis.

Has the axis player concentrated on eliminating Partisan Leaders?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that when playing the Axis v. partisans, maximizing the advantage of the center number on the bottom of the counters is very important. That, and trying to maneuver so there's always at least one hex between any of mine and any of theirs.

Then again, like everything in this game, it's never that simple. Which is why it's so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Wright
England
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers guys.

We have played 5 games so far, all an overwhelming win for the Partisans.

I must admit we have not tried the "kill the leader" tactic. As to the range and keeping one hex distant, we try to do that as much as the cards will allow.

Perhaps we have got disheartened a little too early and have not explored the response to the Partisans fully.

Still, even then we still have a blast playing the game and seeing what happens.

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice response, Rick.

Another thing you might try - - - when playing against the partisans I find that it is EXTEMELY important to keep a fire card in my hand for fire actions when the partisans announce a move order. I will seldom fire on my own turn unless I have TWO fire orders in hand. Those Partisans are just TOO fast and TOO mobile and TOO good in melee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laufle
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
designer
I enjoy games about Stalingrad
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have played them you see their weaknesses as well.
Their leaders are key as in most CC games. Once units are broken or ambushed they become significantly weaker. Don't risk melee unless you have at least one ambush. The low hand size means they might not recover quickly and you are usually able to move against them without risking significant opportunity fire. They cannot afford to keep important cards in their hand for long. Don't be afraid to be mobile and use your range to advantage. The inexperience event can hurt them, so you can make small attacks to burn their deck, but be wary of your time if on the offensive. With the smaller deck you can keep mental track of their cards better, knowing their deck is important. As you play them more and see their limitations and those small moments of frustration you will understand when and you can push back as the Axis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Late entry to the thread with another tip: Rout. It's quite easy to break partisans, and quite difficult for them to rally because of their low broken morale. Hit them with Routs as often as possible. If you don't gain VPs with forced exits you'll at least scatter their forces and slow up their advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started my exploration of this expansion using Tito's scenario and it is a very different beast. The maneuverability of the Partisans is something else! Swarming up the mountain side towards the Italian positions, the partisans move quickly at times, but sometimes stall just before they are able to close to melee, having to wait for the deck to be reshuffled to get those advance orders back again.
And the time marker moves very quickly! Sacrificing the VP's for reinforcements was awfully tempting at first, but then I began to see how quickly the marker was moving and then I had to reconsider my position on spending VPs for units.

I think I'm going to enjoy these scenarios, but as for how to beat the partisans? I don;t know, but I'll have fun finding a way!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Brown
United Kingdom
ABERDEEN
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe I've got this wrong but surely one good way to beat the partisans is to engage in melee as when they lose they can't shrink as the loser has all of his units in the melee eliminated not broken.

Also I agree that it is important to watch the partisan players hand as there reduced size is vital as a means to exploit weaknesses or time attacks/assaults against the partisan player.

Post note, we have played scenario 1 twice and the score is 1/1.

Great games with superlative narratives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Parks
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmb
Admittedly this is based on one game but I think melee strongly favors the partisans - almost all of their units have boxed FP (even leaders, I think) and their units are smaller size so you can put several small units into a hex and maximize the boxed FP bonus.

Also it seems the melee timing rule is a significant partisan advantage. The melee is resolved at the beginning of the Axis turn so partisans have the ability to back out of an unfavorable melee situation whereas the Axis can get "jumped". I think the tactic mentioned above (leave an open hex between Axis units and partisans) is probably a key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.