Hordes of the Things» Forums » Rules

Subject: another rules querie: recoil and bespelling rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
austin hadley
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Maybe its lack of wrg experience, but I didn't find these rules very clear. Essentially what I'm asking is what is bespelling, and how does recoil work? I'm looking at v1 btw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bespelling is like long range artillery, done by magicians. Costs 2 PIPs (which you have to save from the movement phase) - select your target within 600paces (if I remember correctly). Both players roll dice like any other combat, then look up the results as usual. So it's more effective against some things than others - if you beat a Hero for example you capture him/her; whereas you'll probably only make a spear recoil.

In general there are no ill effects on the magician for losing, unless you attack another magician and one or two other element types. However, if you roll a 1 for your combat score, and do so again later on, you get turned into a frog. So there is an element of danger.

Note that a Magician can also attack normally (like every other element) in close combat, with the same combat strength and outcomes, but without using the 2 Pips - however then you are vulnerable to adverse results yourself.

Recoiling simply means that if an element is beaten but not destroyed as a combat outcome of this (by beaten I mean the enemy score if more than yours but not twice as much), you move it straight backwards one base depth. Some elements will follow up (Behemoths, Knights - impetuous things). Most don't. This tends to leave a gap in your line of troops, so if one of your elements gets recoiled in the first combat, adjacent units then fight at a disadvantage (-1 for having a enemy supporter to the side). So choosing the order of combats can be very important.

As a side note, version 2 is well worth getting - much better explained and with diagrams, and a few improved rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
As a side note, version 2 is well worth getting - much better explained and with diagrams, and a few improved rules.

The HOTT 2nd edition rules are currently available at no cost on the author's website here. You'll find the link in the section that discusses the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
austin hadley
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thank you so much both of you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
austin hadley
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Where can I find army lists?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
aapch45 wrote:
Where can I find army lists?

One of the beauties of this game is that you don't really need any. The base game is a battle between two 24 point armies and creating them is quite easy; there are just a few rules to follow in making whatever you can imagine. If you'd like to see some lists for inspiration, I'd suggest looking at these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Also worth joining the Yahoo group for HoTT:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HOTT/

and visiting the new, resurrected Stronghold:
http://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com.au/

Welcome to a great game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
austin hadley
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks! I appreciate it now only to find some minis in the Usa....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Beattie
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Getting armies is the easiest part of getting ready to play. Use stones: sharp ones for blades, big ones for behemoths, one on top of another for riders or knights, mixed ones for war band, a shiny one for a hero, a black one for a Magician, etc.

Use plastic bugs. Check out the Stronghold, noted above for all sorts of suggestions.

Get 2.0 or better 2.1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.