Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm teaching English in China to professors with good vocabularies but who are still working on pronunciation and grammar.

Each afternoon we gather in a group of 30 and play various language related games, such as a version of team Scattergories. I'm looking for other group games that encourage conversation and don't require a physical boardgame, although I can certainly purchase supplies and assemble some items.

I'm considering a modified version of Sid Sackson's "Haggle." Werewolf has worked in the past.

Some version of "Say Anything" might work ok.

I also teach smaller groups of about eight students at a time. We'll definitely give Dixit a shot--I brought a copy.

Is there a nine-person variant of "No Thanks" out there?

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Is there a nine-person variant of "No Thanks" out there?

I would guess each player gets 6 tokens instead of 11. Not sure how fun it would be though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Three Things Game is a party game based on Celebrities. It's played in three rounds, and two of the rounds involve language. The third involves movements but no speaking or other sounds. I have played it with about 20 people, and it was still pretty good. You definitely need at least 6 for it to be fun. And I guess you would add a rule that all speaking during the game must be in English.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/36560/three-things-a-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a group of that size, I used to put 2 free standing black-boards in the center of the room....one team on each side and then play a version of pictionary. Both teams are given the same word and draw at the same time....but you can only see your team's drawing. It was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question has the perfect answer:

Ultimate Werewolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers is a potential but I would hand pick the questions and extend the timer due to everyone probably being a tad slower getting their point across. I've played it with teams of two but three in a group could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits and Wagers would be great, but sadly I am already in China and didn't bring a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.