Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I live currently in beautiful San Luis Obispo, a small college town on the central coast of California. It does have great weather and some lively events that can be fun. Sadly the jobs here are small potatoes that don't pay enough and it being California the cost of living is horrible. When I first moved here over 4 years ago it was to help my Mom and Step-Dad as they were both of ill health and they really needed me. Since then my dad passed away and my mom moved away up to Portland, Oregon over a year ago. The gaming community here is small but nice and the local University has a weekly gaming club that I go to every once in a while. Still I have few friends that I really spend much time with, my longest term buddy lives abut 40 miles away so we don't get together all that much. So the big picture question before me is whether it's worth it to stay here. I barely scrape by right now because the organization I work for doesn't have the budget and to top that off my boss is a sociopath. I do love what I do, working with seniors and others in the fitness area but I can really do that anywhere. My current roommates are making me move out so they can help family out and move in a niece, notice of which was brought on suddenly just a few weeks ago. I'm thinking of moving up to Portland where my Mom, Sister and nieces and nephews are. Obviously being near them is a big incentive. The doing so is of course costly and difficult but I have to move anyway. Which I hate doing, but who doesn't? My Aunt and Uncle live here which was part of the incentive my Mom and Step-Dad had to move here to begin with but I don't see them a whole lot as they work and travel and such. So suffice it to say I don't have much keeping me here, I haven't even had a girlfriend in over a year. This town is centered around college age and seniors and there isn't a whole lot in-between. So benefits of move up to Portland would be being able to spend more time with family, a lot more possible job opportunities and a lower cost of living. Right now for what I pay rent for one room in a 3 bedroom apartment I could rent a two bedroom to myself for up there. I know there are a lot more people up there and quite a few gamers. So I'm not sure why I am laboring over this so much, perhaps because I hate massive change and I would miss many of the people I have gotten to know especially all the nice people at work. I think I just hate being up in the air about life and its stressful to have to make life changing decisions. I'm at a crossroads here, what would you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never underestimate the value of family, especially nearby, as long as you get along with them.

Do you see your social life improving if you stay put? It doesn't sound like it. Since you have to move anyway, my feeling is you should really move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived in Santa Barbara, which has a lot of similarities to S.L.O.: lots of college kids and retirees, few 20- and 30-somethings, and no decent jobs. Although the weather and town were both very nice, I decided to move from S.B. when I left my job, and I am sure it was the correct decision. From what I hear from friends that live in Portland, it has a lot going for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife is from Paso Robles. She moved away in 2000. So..yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Move to Portland. As others have said, family close by is a great thing. And Portland has a very active gaming community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
I have family in Portland area...it seems nice when I visit...plus you can live the dream of the 90's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
GO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like you've already decided to move. You just haven't realized it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I learned this "little trick" from that Frasier T V show: flip a coin and conceal the result, THEN decide which you WANT that on becoming for such, eh? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Portland. If it made sense for me to move back to the area again, I would do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
robbdaman wrote:
I'm thinking of moving up to Portland
Well, that's what I want to do, so I will live vicariously through you. Portland it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GO, MOVE, NOW.

I can understand not liking change, but, frankly, your going to have to move anyways, why not move somewhere where you can have a life and a chance to better yourself rather than just renting another room in a community where you are scraping by, have few friends, where you don't even see the friends you have that often, and have few if any romantic prospects.

I suggest you do the following

-> start looking for jobs - > MOVE -> Get a job -> E-Harmony -> join a game club

Think of it as hitting the reset button. Dude, go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
So I live currently in beautiful San Luis Obispo

I've always said that if I had to move from here (SLO), I'd go North along the coast. Having lived next to a large body of accessible water all my life (ocean, lake(s)) I think that's an ingrained requirement now.

Ask yourself what you love about SLO. If weather and climate are one of them, that can make a large impact on your mental well being if you move away. The non-college age/-senior crowd is here, you just have to hit up the bars before 10PM or become involved in more outside activities like community theater, volunteering, etc. That's a great way to meet other people. I've heard the online dating scene isn't so bad too.

The gaming community is also pretty big, but it's hidden. Sadly a lot of that has to due to personality conflicts. Back in the 90s and early 00's it was very large and connected, but fragmented over time. Also life and kids kicked in which made gaming less of a priority for more people.

As for housing, it can be a bitch, but there are good options out there. Rooms further from the uni are usually cheaper. As more uni housing becomes available, the rates in town should drop even further. Also, if you can afford a room in SLO, you should also be able to afford an older mobile home as well, if not to rent, then to purchase (although the more modern ones are really nice inside now). Living outside of SLO a bit can also keep prices lower, but that's offset by a commute.

For work, I'm surprised you haven't found other offerings for your line of work. I'm not sure where you work now, but check out Compass Health & The Villages. They both run several care facilities in the area that might have fitness related employment opportunities. Also volunteering a bit with the various meals programs that serve seniors might also broaden your exposure to other folks/opportunities.

Finally, and most importantly of all, you can also pump your own gas here.

http://www.villagesofslo.com/contact-us/
http://www.compass-health.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for me, it would be a no brainer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
GO, MOVE, NOW.

I can understand not liking change, but, frankly, your going to have to move anyways, why not move somewhere where you can have a life and a chance to better yourself rather than just renting another room in a community where you are scraping by, have few friends, where you don't even see the friends you have that often, and have few if any romantic prospects.

I suggest you do the following

-> start looking for jobs - > MOVE -> Get a job -> E-Harmony -> join a game club

Think of it as hitting the reset button. Dude, go.

I agree with that, minus e-Harmony part. Darn scammer site. Try Plenty of Fish instead. It's free, which frees up money for games

Good luck! The move sounds like it will be a great thing for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the words and encouragement. I still haven't made my mind up but I certainly have a lot more to think about. I admittedly hate change especially change that isn't my choice. I'm one who feels he must prepare himself for life changing events, moving is just one of them. I think I'm going to entertain possibilities of job applications up there and see what hits, if something does pop up I will take advantage of it. Perhaps that will be the final sign that I need to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have been wondering my current plan is to move to Portland near the end of August (I know some have been on pins and needles worrying) My main reason for moving to SLO in the first place is not valid anymore. After discussing it with my Uncle he thinks it would be a good thing all around. My mom is feeling better than she has in a while these days but for the past several years has been in poor health. Having a double lung transplant almost 5 years ago it has been a rough road. After losing my grandma 3 years ago and my stepdad a year and a half she moved up there to be near her grandkids and who could blame her as they are a lot of fun but being here just doesn't serve much purpose. Thanks to everyone for their impartial point of view as it did help a lot in the decision process. With nieces and nephews of a variety of ages I will have a few gamers to teach and bring to the future of BGG. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.