Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
After the two games I played on Game Day, I bought a second Sting of Lolth set and sat Sarah down with all the cards and creatures that weren't in my Cormyr Adventurer warband. This is the warband she came up with:

Creatures: (12)
(L9) Drow Wizard - Level 2, Dex, Int
(L7) Drow House Guard - Level 2, Dex
(L7) Drow House Guard - Level 2, Dex
(L5) Drow Blademaster - Level 3, Dex
(L5) Drow Blademaster - Level 3, Dex
(L4) Drow Assassin - Level 4, Dex
(L4) Drow Assassin - Level 4, Dex
(L11) Shadow Mastiff - Level 4, Dex
(L12) Umber Hulk - Level 5, Str, Dex
(L12) Umber Hulk - Level 5, Str, Dex

Order Cards: (30)
(L16) Quick Jab - Dex 1, Minor
(L16) Quick Jab - Dex 1, Minor
(L17) Quick Jab - Dex 1, Minor
(L17) Quick Jab - Dex 1, Minor
(C27) Quick Shot - Dex 1, Minor
(C27) Quick Shot - Dex 1, Minor
(C28) Quick Shot - Dex 1, Minor
(C28) Quick Shot - Dex 1, Minor
(L23) Secret Passage - Any 1, Minor
(L23) Secret Passage - Any 1, Minor
(L29) Stalk - Dex 1, Minor
(L29) Stalk - Dex 1, Minor
(L30) Stalk - Dex 1, Minor
(L30) Stalk - Dex 1, Minor
(L5) Faerie Fire - Int 2, Minor
(L5) Faerie Fire - Int 2, Minor
(L6) Faerie Fire - Int 2, Minor
(L6) Faerie Fire - Int 2, Minor
(L11) Near Miss - Int 2, Immediate
(L11) Near Miss - Int 2, Immediate
(L27) Spring Attack - Dex 2, Standard
(L27) Spring Attack - Dex 2, Standard
(L28) Spring Attack - Dex 2, Standard
(L28) Spring Attack - Dex 2, Standard
(L31) Stealth - Dex 2, Standard
(L31) Stealth - Dex 2, Standard
(L1) Close Call - Dex 3, Immediate
(L1) Close Call - Dex 3, Immediate
(L26) Sneak Attack - Dex 6, Standard
(L26) Sneak Attack - Dex 6, Standard

Game Play
Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to play against this warband, but it *did* get played twice during the Game Day. The first time was by Sarah against Nash (who was playing my Adventurer warband). I was busy at the time, but I did witness the opening turn that saw Sarah play about four order cards to inflict 20 damage on Nash's creatures, which he then healed! Sarah just got a bit too enthusiastic there.

The second game was between Paul and his son Ben, with me explaining the rules as they expressed some father-son rivalry. Ben played the drow, and took full advantage of their mobility to move around the map gathering most of the treasure whilst (mostly) staying out the way of Paul's slower adventurers.

Spring Attack is particularly dangerous with burrowing creatures (such as the Umber Hulk) or with those using a Secret Door, but true horror came from a Stealth card being played on the Umber Hulk - it was removed from the map and returned the next turn pretty much anywhere Ben wanted, which could only be in a bad place for Paul.

This game was actually very close - in the final stages, both Ben and Paul had only one morale left! The big-hitting Adventurers would do horrible things to Ben's creatures when he couldn't shift them out of the way in time, but Ben was very good at attacking the damage-reducing Clerics and Defenders that Paul played.

Eventually, Ben was able to play a Near Miss to prevent Paul's last attack and he finished off Paul's adventurers in his next turn. I'm looking forward to the next game Sarah and I play - it should be a good one. Unfortunately, Sarah wants to hold off buying Dungeon Command until her favourite faction - the Undead - get released in November, so it may be a while until she can play with her own figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which commander are you using? This one is so top heavy that I'd suggest the sellsword (with 9 starting Leadership) is probably the best choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I don't see a use for Near Miss in a deck with so few Immediates. Riposte has the same level requirement and will save the same amount of damage, and without a consistent way to utilize the untap effect you might as well get the free 10 damage instead. Parry will only save 10 damage but replaces itself. Either would probably be a better choice, and quite frankly I would probably instead decide to max out on Close Call and just accept that your Wizards and House Guards are expendable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
lol yes i am teh stabbr
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't decided yet which commander to use, I was intending to try both -- I played with the Priestess first to push the movement theme. And I kind of play lots of little creatures, and eventually they die, allowing bigger creatures to come out, so the leadership didn't matter so much. My game against Nash ended with me losing but he was on 2 morale.

You're probably right about the Near Miss cards, I admit I built it fairly hastily and it's really just a first draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.