United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:
Scroll down for more updates.

After reading the manuals and checking out the cards the presentation of everything around these fantastic miniatures feelt a bit hamfisted. I get the feeling they just took Richard's prototype and published it. I know that's a little harsh but my own game prototypes communicate cleaner than this published game does.

I already spent a few happy nights assembling the minis I may as well put in a little bit of elbow grease and see if I cant improve the presentation of game play info.

I also noticed how the large banners used for art of tactic make nice handles for moving the units about in movement trays and that C&C lacked large banners to make the trays useful. Then I thought how awesome it would be if I could fit all of a units information onto that large banner.

And the unit summary banner was born!

These are a ruff mock up of how unit information could be presented for the command and colors rule set. If I produce the banners they would be stickers that players could mount on top of the large art of tactic unit banners. the artwork for the banners would also be much better.

give me feedback! did i get something wrong with the example banners? do they need more info, less info? let me know.

oh and thanks to Jherek for the unit summary spread sheet.

UPDATE:
after some helpfull feedback i have made the design a bit clean er and mocked up one unit with a banner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll need to put a unique identifier (a number or letter) somewhere on each banner since the Art of Tactics rules requires players to mark orders for specific units. Unless you decide to be a C&C-only player.

Otherwise, I think this is a neat idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea, I like it! Any ideas on how to easily & reliably cut the stickers to size?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea... I am not liking the background though. I find it is detracting from the foreground information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
is it the splash of color or the waviness of the flag? i think it's the splash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, but very busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
here is version two, this time mounted on a banner so you can see the full effect. (the circle in the bottom of the banner is actually green, the camera made it look black)

My thought is to make red and yellow banners to differentiate players.

individual numbering for AOT would be handled with extra stickers that stick onto the large open spot and have a paired sticker that could go on the AOT card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it looks good.

Is that a 5 figure unit, plus attached leader? I know that's how the AoT infantry stands work.
But thinking of that, if you are going to use the stands, what will you do with the cavalry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i use sticky tack to keep the miniatures in their tray during transport and play. (i also use it to keep the trays from shifting in the box)

all you need is a little more sticky tack and you can put two extra horses on the front of a cav tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update

After thinking about it harder I have chosen to go a different route with the large banners. So I challenged myself to fit the C&C info on to the smaller C&C banners,

From my print test the colors may need to be a little less saturated in order for the black to stand out better but overall I am quite happy with this design. Could someone take the time to double check all the rules notation for these banners and make sure I got it right?

I think I will have an easy to cut out banner set for free on the geek but also offer a set that is pre-cut and shipped to you for a small fee (I run a little paper toy business and can make die-cut stickers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco E
msg tools
Very nice.. if you do make the stickers and sell them let us know...
I like the version for the smaller banners better since I need the large banners for the AoT version...

Francisco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an error on the bow infantry banner: under the "0 space moved icon", the range and dice rolled should be 0-2-2, and under the "2 space moved icon", the range and dice rolled should be 0-1-1.

For the bow infantry banner: maybe you should add a "1 space moved" icon, half under the "2 spaces moved" icon. That way, it would be clear wether you roll one dice or two dice when you only move one space.

For the blue banner: maybe you should place the "1 space moved" icon + "3 CC dire rolled" icon on the left, and the "2 spaces moved" icon on the right (in ascending order, just as for the bow infantry banner).

edit: very nice stickers; I appreciate them much more then the first ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for catching the error! everyone's feedback has been a great help!

If I sell these I may end up using the BGG marketplace because I don't want to add these to my other site.

Here is an interesting problem.

How many of each banner should I include? I will be making ones for leaders on foot, Calvary leaders, and HQ units. I cant imagine players will want a leader banner for every leader model considering the most any one scenario uses now is 8. I can fit 36 banners to a single page of sticker stock.

The product would be a page of stickers and two playing cards that function as symbol keys.

Also should I only include two cavalry stickers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is a progress shot of actual stickers on actual banners. still some adjustments to make to the size and shape of the banner but overall i'm quite happy with it!

The effect of the stickers wrapping around the pole is great! you can see i'm trying to figure out a good bambo looking texture for painting the poles... i'm not there yet but i will get it.

the banners with the brown coloration have been coated in varnish for extra protection. i'm sure they will hold up fine without varnish but i am a little worried about the pole wraps holding up.

I use a top end LED laser printer,the toner is durable and glossy but don't expect the kind of gloss coating you would get from a Battle Lore banner sticker.

do you guys like purple banners for the leaders? still trying to come up with a good symbol for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is the helmet symbol that the game uses for leaders...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you can see the current version in that image it's the purple sticker to the right of the image. i tried drawing a helmet using the same calligraphic brush strokes. i'm not quite digging it's look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe go simpler and more abstract-- Just the rounded top of the helmet and the horns may suit the calligraphy style, plus the color.

OR,

the scenarios use a 'star' for the mounted leaders, and CCNap players are certainly used to seeing a star as a leader sign on scenarios. Maybe a calligraphy star? And we can see the figs to know if it's mounted or not. (The symbols don't distinguish heavy cav from heavy infantry, so no need to distinguish leader differences here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
good suggestions! cav units are distinguished by having half the flag in white, this matches the unit notation in the scenarios. my plan was to do the same with the leader flags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I applied the stickers to my set of banners. You actually get WAY more plastic banners then you will need for any scenario in the base game.

My main concern at the moment is if i want to swap the symbols from black to white. I love how colorful the board is with these banners.

my next project is what to do with the Art of tactic banners.

i am thinking i will keep the C&C banners in the unit stand at all times anyway so i don't really need those AOT banners for their unit specific quality.

I was thinking maybe the AOT banners would be red or yellow to denote player control with a large number or letter for order writing.

what are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cacy
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
What are you using to create hue stickers? I tried clear label paper but it changes the look of paints. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.