Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As an English speaker who enjoys the WWE board game, I have been awaiting more information on this game. This morning, I got motivated enough to put my limited Spanish skills to use, reading the Spanish translation of the rules that has been posted here on BGG. Thanks Sevilla!!! Here is a brief summary, so all you English-only speakers can at least learn something about the game.

The game consists of 2 epochs of 12 rounds each. Each round, there is an event card, which gets oriented to offer a different reward to each player based on the icons in the corners. There are immediate events (purple), and there are lasting events (blue). The lasting events are all opportunities to trade goods for VP's. Each player can use one of these blue event opportunities at the end of each round.

There are several familiar goods (stone, cloth, piety, and medical knowledge), and you have to pay taxes at the end of each epoch (or pay a VP penalty). But since there are no building projects, and no healing, and no cloth market, it ends up being a game of just juggling several arbitrary resources which happen to have different names.

Each round, you play one of your 5 action cards. Most of these just trade goods/VP for goods/VP, while the 5th action card lets you retrieve all the action cards you have played so far. When you play a card, you can either execute its exchanging action, or you can take its reward of additional goods.

So from what I can tell, it ends up being a clever card game that retains large parts of the event/action mechanics. So when judged as a more-than-filler card game, it looks pretty interesting. However, when compared to the board game, this seems like a pale shadow, since it reduces the different goods to generic interchangeable resources.

Where I feel that San Juan captures the essence of Puerto Rico in card-game form, I don't feel the same about DTdW:DK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.