Glen Brunie
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm getting ready to start my first campaign, and the thought of endlessly drawing counters to set up the convoy displays is a big turn-off. Has anyone given the thought of converting the war mix cups over to a chart & die roll format instead? I would much rather make a few die rolls to determine a contact, instead of doing the whole chit-pull-correct-side-face-up-placing-on-the-display-card routine. Also, not only would this eliminate the hassle of having to reseed the cups every few weeks, it would make the footprint of the game much smaller (no 12-14 war mix cups sitting around).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Silent War, so I'm going to assume the mechanics are the same. The only drawback I can see is that when pulling chits, you pull the number called for on the chart and place them face down.

If you're rolling a die to determine what comes up, nothing will be hidden. I suppose you could roll more dice to determine what is contacted so that you don't cherry pick.

If Steel Wolves treats this mechanic differently, kindly disregard.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the Vassal module instead. It makes setting up the war mix cups easy and setting up a whole convoy easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Walliker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes Vassal is the way to go. I use the physical board for all things but then just use Vassal for any convoys or task forces, thus still keeping the tactile feel and I still draw for loners as it's fun!

When I tried the newest Vassal version it didn't work properly so you will probably need to get an older version as suggested in the mod download screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Brunie
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks Guys for your input. However, as I sit in front of a PC monitor 10+ hours a day at my job VASSAL is not an option...the LAST thing I ever want to do when I get home is to sit in front of a computer. Having a physical board game to play over is a refreshing break.

I'm currently working at inputting all of the SW naval & A/C counter values into a spreadsheet, once done I'll be able to make my own die roll selection tables for each War Period/convoy type. My thinking is that once done, to setup a convoy encounter I'll first make a roll for each 'chit pull' to determine if it is a red or white backed ensign. Then, after I select which ones to 'flip', I'll make another die roll to determine the target type. TDC selection would work the same, make a die roll for each chosen target, consult a table, and apply the DRM. Also, to avoid having to hassle with finding the correct physical counter for each target, I would simply record the convoy layout (columns, targets, TDC info, etc) on a piece of notebook paper...and for the real hardcore, this would have the added benefit of recording each convoy encounter for posterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Walliker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I agree with you on the Vassal thing but I just had to succumb for the convoys as running a full campaign it becomes really painful to keep drawing 30 or 36 pieces many many times!

Your method sounds like a nice solution perhaps. The only thing is that isn't it as fast to draw a chit and place it on the board than to roll on a number of tables and then write down the result? Indeed in some ways it could be argued the chit pulling is a nice break from the die rolling!

Nonetheless keep us posted how it works out for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Brunie
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, substituting die rolls for chit pulls might not speed up the process any, but for me, the payoff will be threefold:

1) Not having to mess with seeding & re-seeding the war cups.

2) Space savings in not having 12-14 war mix cups & convoy displays spread everywhere.

3) Not wasting any more time staring at the ceiling while my fingers try to figure out which side of the chit is the backside before I pull it from the cup. ;-)

I'm going to start with the Loner war mix 'cup', and I'll post the files when complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Walliker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
1) This can be a pain but using some counter trays I was able to trivialise this process. Re-seeding the cups is only done occasionally and I can fill all in a few minutes by sorting the trays so I can pull in order.

2) Agreed. I used to have a large dinner table and a happy girlfriend. Now I have a table covered in paper and card and no dinner parties for a year to come? Other half = unimpressed.

3) 100% agree here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.