GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,115 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is this the future of gaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was an interesting article from CNN on the "revival" of turn-based strategy games on the computer:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/tech/gaming-gadgets/rebirth-tu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If so, good! The advent of twitchier styles of strategy games was disappointing, overall. I'd rather lose to someone in a strategy game who actually, you know, defeated me with superior strategy rather than lose to someone because they could generate more Mouse-clicks per Second and/or who had a superior economic build order memorized.

Yay for turn-based games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice that the first picture in the article is from the upcoming X-Com game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
wytefang wrote:
If so, good! The advent of twitchier styles of strategy games was disappointing, overall. I'd rather lose to someone in a strategy game who actually, you know, defeated me with superior strategy rather than lose to someone because they could generate more Mouse-clicks per Second and/or who had a superior economic build order memorized.

Yay for turn-based games!

It is funny you say that as though real time strategy games involved less strategy than turn-based games.

I think it's more both having equal amount of strategy but one being in real time where the twitch factor kicks in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
RTS doesn't necessarily mean no strategy, just look at Paradox's games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting games like Street Fighter also have strategy at the higher levels of play, but whenever you introduce keystroke/mouse/joystick pattern memorization the long term strategy becomes secondary at low to medium skill levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.