New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Marvel Strike Teams (2018)
badge
Marvel Strike Teams: November 2018
mbmbmbmbmb

Background: As the Supreme Monarch's grip over the Galactic Realm continues to weaken, scientific experiments in the Frontier Worlds have become more commonplace. Intrepid souls willing to increase their value in the escalating war can enhance their abilities in ways never before seen. And the Science Guild is only too willing to accept volunteers for its developmental programs.

Strategy: Players looking to get an early start on the Robot strategy now have a new ally: the Cyborg Unit, the only Robot to appear in Sector I. The Cyborg Unit can become very powerful in the early game, achieving a Fleet Strength of 1 and a Ground Strength of 3 on her own! That makes her capable of taking out entire planets if a player is willing to sacrifice one of their Faction Tokens in the Science Guild.

Designer Notes: Because we wanted to introduce certain Unit types earlier in the game, we knew we had to adjust an existing card (Repair Station) to make this possible without making the Robot strategy too powerful. So the expansion also comes with a revised version of Repair Station which no longer keeps Robots in play after Invasions. However, the Repair Station still works on Vehicles (including the mighty Mech Annihilator introduced in this set!), and the Repair Station also continues to work on the Medibot and Workbot after they use their abilities.

Art Notes: For the card art, we noticed that there were only two female characters in the core set and commissioned art for several cards to rectify this. Artist Biago D'Alessandro fulfilled this order magnificently with his breathtaking image for the Cyborg Unit!

Edited to reflect the fact that Queen Alais is indeed a woman!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! I look forward to more previews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - I see the left side of her face now! I was thinking that was the sexiest radiator grille I had ever seen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is, what other uses would the Science Guild Faction Token be used for? Is there a standard action you can use it for or how many points would it get you at the end of the game if not used to pump this lassie up

Not that I'm complaining about pumping lassies up, I try to do so regularly whenever it's optimum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for thinking about the ladies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rillian wrote:
The question is, what other uses would the Science Guild Faction Token be used for? Is there a standard action you can use it for or how many points would it get you at the end of the game if not used to pump this lassie up

Not that I'm complaining about pumping lassies up, I try to do so regularly whenever it's optimum

Yes, the Science Guild can normally be used to help you draft cards cheaper. Each token you spend from the Guild can reduce the draft cost of a card by 3 Energy.

If you can maintain the lead in the Science Guild, each token you DON'T use is worth 1 Empire Point.

So basically, you got three pretty good choices of how to use those tokens. And of course, you get a new token in the Science Guild every time you deploy the Cyborg Unit, so you don't want her sitting around in your Warzone for long! cool

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Andrew Parks wrote:

Art Notes: For the card art, we noticed that there was only 1 female character in the core set (the Supreme Brain) and commissioned art for several cards to rectify this. Artist Biago D'Alessandro fulfilled this order magnificently with his breathtaking image for the Cyborg Unit!

On this day in Core Worlds History the shocking truth about Queen Alais is revealed to all the Core Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:

Art Notes: For the card art, we noticed that there was only 1 female character in the core set (the Supreme Brain) and commissioned art for several cards to rectify this. Artist Biago D'Alessandro fulfilled this order magnificently with his breathtaking image for the Cyborg Unit!

On this day in Core Worlds History the shocking truth about Queen Alais is revealed to all the Core Worlds.

D'oh! Make that two female characters... blush

I have revised the article above.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Henderson
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear, hear!! I too cannot wait for more: this will be awesome, I can already tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.