Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kevin jung
United States
Palatine
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming has been a great avenue to connect with both of my sons. My oldest son (now 19 but still living at home) and I had a lot of issues really connecting and talking. We had tried a number of different things that we could do. He is a video gamer, so I tried to get into his video games, I just DO NOT have the eye hand coordination for video games and could not play them with any success. We tried Golf- both of us did not mind the afternoon together playing but we were so bad that the only time we really spent together was at the tee, and crossing the fairway to get to our respective balls. Finally we found Runebound- a board game that worked enough like a video game that he liked it, and that did not require the eye hand coordination so I could easily play as well. We have both been hooked ever since, building our own board game collections and learning new and amazing games together (our new favorite vacation together is attending Gen Con.)

My younger son (now 15), does not enjoy the games as much- he has a very hard time sitting still for long periods of time typically. He is really into Movies, but even when watching the movies he has to get up and re-enact battle scenes, he cannot sit and watch and has to have some sort of weapon on hand while watching a movie. I have a hard time with this as once I have seen a movie I have seen it and I am not one to watch the same movie over and over again. Recently He and I have discovered building, and painting, miniatures. He loves it and for the 1st time in a very long time I watched as he quietly sat building and painting for 3-4 days straight. He can have his movies going in the background and he really sits for hours. Because he has put so much time and care into the models he wants to see them "in action" so he is getting into the miniature gaming as well. THIS IS SO AWESOME.

Thank you Gaming for saving my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alwaysjung wrote:
Gaming has been a great avenue to connect with both of my sons. My oldest son (now 19 but still living at home) and I had a lot of issues really connecting and talking. We had tried a number of different things that we could do. He is a video gamer, so I tried to get into his video games, I just DO NOT have the eye hand coordination for video games and could not play them with any success. We tried Golf- both of us did not mind the afternoon together playing but we were so bad that the only time we really spent together was at the tee, and crossing the fairway to get to our respective balls. Finally we found Runebound- a board game that worked enough like a video game that he liked it, and that did not require the eye hand coordination so I could easily play as well. We have both been hooked ever since, building our own board game collections and learning new and amazing games together (our new favorite vacation together is attending Gen Con.)

My younger son (now 15), does not enjoy the games as much- he has a very hard time sitting still for long periods of time typically. He is really into Movies, but even when watching the movies he has to get up and re-enact battle scenes, he cannot sit and watch and has to have some sort of weapon on hand while watching a movie. I have a hard time with this as once I have seen a movie I have seen it and I am not one to watch the same movie over and over again. Recently He and I have discovered building, and painting, miniatures. He loves it and for the 1st time in a very long time I watched as he quietly sat building and painting for 3-4 days straight. He can have his movies going in the background and he really sits for hours. Because he has put so much time and care into the models he wants to see them "in action" so he is getting into the miniature gaming as well. THIS IS SO AWESOME.

Thank you Gaming for saving my family.

As a guy who travels locally and internationally a LOT, my re-entry into boardgames has given my family something to do together (besides watching movies), instead of everyone having his/her face at the internet. We now have a boardgame night, and the kids who win have a "prize" as an incentive....best of all the games I have so far (7 Wonders, Small World, Stone Age, Dungeon Petz, even Ticket to Ride on the Ipad) enable 3 of my 4 kids (ages 17, 14, and 8..my 22 year is truly out of it) plus me and my wife to all play. I do hope this makes up somewhat for all the time I have lost due to my travelling (I have been doing this type of work for over 14 years)....well maybe not, but better late than never in trying somewhat!!!

I am also (or used to be) a HEAVY WH40K and WH Fantasy player, but am scaling down on these to make way to the above...have to be less selfish with my time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
mb
I am happy for you and your family. Great story!

Whether it be a meal or playing games together, anytime I can get the family to sit at the table and interact with each other, I consider it a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.