Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
When you gain an RWB bonus from an item or award, do you receive the dice results as well as the bonus, or just the bonus as if you had rolled those results?

Thanks!
Galen

P.S. Love the game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am under the impression that you do get the die results as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You aren't getting the actual die results but just the bonus.

Now if something adds a virtual die, then you get the result of the die and if it happens to have a color, can be added to get an RWB.

EDIT: An example would be Medal of Honor - I think don't have my stuff with me - that gives you 3 die results so these get you results and can be used to get an RWB as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Now if something adds a virtual die, then you get the result of the die and if it happens to have a color, can be added to get an RWB.

EDIT: An example would be Medal of Honor - I think don't have my stuff with me - that gives you 3 die results so these get you results and can be used to get an RWB as well.

So if I roll a double soldier RWB bonus I receive 6 soldiers and not 12? I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I believe this was an issue I was confused on before as well.

Edit: Or is this just about non-soldier awards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
Strickhouser wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

So if I roll a double soldier RWB bonus I receive 6 soldiers and not 12? I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I believe this was an issue I was confused on before as well.

I think the question is for items/awards and so on that say "You gain a Fresh Troops RWB." Since you didn't roll the dice you just get the bonus (6 troops) instead of the bonus and the dice (6 + 6).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not mistaken, the rules stated (somewhere) that you get the dice results + the bonus.

Oops, nevermind I misunderstood the thread. I think from an Award, you only get the bonus, not the "dice results", since you didn't roll them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If you ROLL the RWB, you get the results of the dice + the bonus. Example: Rolling a "fresh troops" RWB nets you 6+6 soldiers.

2) If you GAIN an RWB (via an item), you only get the bonus. Example: An item gives you a "fresh troops" RWB, you gain 6 soldiers. Note that it still counts as an RWB for the purposes of in-game effects (i.e. a Chaplain would give you +1 courage)

3) If an item allows you to add/manipulate a die, and that new result allows you to earn a RWB, you gain the dice result + the bonus. Example: You roll R+B "2 soldiers" and a "leadership" RWB which allows you to add a W result to your roll. You add a "virtual" white die to complete your "fresh troops" RWB. You gain 3 stars (from the leadership RWB) and 6+6 soldiers (from the "rolled" fresh troops).

[Edit: Typo]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
We've been playing it that you just get the bonus, not the die results, when you receive an RWB bonus from an item or an award.

The only reason I thought it may be different is the item card Signalling Lamp which gives you a Fresh Troops RWB bonus (basically, +6 soldiers). It seemed weird to do this via an RWB bonus instead of just having the item say +6 soldiers like the Walkie Talkie and Field Radio items (+2 and +5 soldiers respectively). I am guessing it is worded that way so that you can benefit from cards like the Veteran (who gives you +1 soldier for every RWB you get)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Strickhouser wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Edit: Or is this just about non-soldier awards?

If you ROLL an RWB, you get the items results AND the bonus.

The question is specific to other events, such as cards, just giving you an RWB. If it gives you the RWB without giving you the results, you only take the bonus itself, not the die results since you didn't roll (or get) dice.

Medal of Honor is an example where the card gives you virtual dice in Red White and Blue. So you can use these "dice" and actual gain the result plus an RWB if you form it as one or more RWBs.

But if a card just says "gain and XXX RWB" all you get is the bonus for the RWB, not the results of the individual dice had you actually rolled it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gciscell wrote:
We've been playing it that you just get the bonus, not the die results, when you receive an RWB bonus from an item or an award.

The only reason I thought it may be different is the item card Signalling Lamp which gives you a Fresh Troops RWB bonus (basically, +6 soldiers). It seemed weird to do this via an RWB bonus instead of just having the item say +6 soldiers like the Walkie Talkie and Field Radio items (+2 and +5 soldiers respectively). I am guessing it is worded that way so that you can benefit from cards like the Veteran (who gives you +1 soldier for every RWB you get)?

Yes, exactly. It is not just "+6 Soldiers" it is an RWB and so can trigger other things looking for an RWB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
gciscell wrote:

Listen to Brian, he knows what he's talking about!

Also, with the Legendary Units found in D-Day Dice (Second edition): War Stories, players will have their own set of RWB bonuses. So a Fresh Troops or a Special Find RWB will not mean the same thing for every player.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.