Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Hope this is an easy one to answer.

I'm a total MtG newbie and although I have paper MtG cards, I'm focusing more on MtG: Online since it's so much easier to get a game whenever I want.

I've been playing with a mainly M12 deck and I think I'm ready to start looking into the expansions. When will the current Innistrad block continue to be legal in Standard format? And when I say Innistrad block, I take it that it's only:

Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored

Would that be correct? Also, does anyone have an idea when M13 cards will be available to buy on MtG:O?

Many thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The entire Innistrad block will be legal until "Friends" comes out in fall 2013. M13 should come out very soon on MTGO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing Standard... as of M13's release the following are legal:

Scars of Mirrodin
Mirrodin Beseiged
New Phyrexia
M12
Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored
M13 (which releases this weekend on MTGO I believe)

Once Return to Ravnica releases, then we have what we call "fall rotation." Then as of RTR's release date, the following will be Standard legal:

Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored
M13
Return to Ravnica

So you have a full year plus a month or two to keep playing your ISD block cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
The entire Innistrad block will be legal until "Friends" comes out in fall 2013. M13 should come out very soon on MTGO.

Many thanks for such a quick response. So I take it that roughly October-time is the cut-off point each year? With that I mean; there isn't more than one date in each year that Wizards use to discontinue card legality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
If you're playing Standard... as of M13's release the following are legal:

Scars of Mirrodin
Mirrodin Beseiged
New Phyrexia
M12
Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored
M13 (which releases this weekend on MTGO I believe)

Once Return to Ravnica releases, then we have what we call "fall rotation." Then as of RTR's release date, the following will be Standard legal:

Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored
M13
Return to Ravnica

So you have a full year plus a month or two to keep playing your ISD block cards.

Yeah, thanks. That's exactly why I asked this question. I'm going to avoid Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Beseiged and New Phyrexia since I'm not going to get as much play out of them as I'd like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Raffuse
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for easy questions! Innistrad block cards will be legal in Standard for a little over a year. They will be replaced in the fall of 2013 by the block that follows the new Ravnica block.

Your first chance to use the M13 cards in the prerelease queues, beginning this Thursday at 10 AM Pacific time. At that point, M13 cards will be legal. You can begin purchasing M13 on July 30. See http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/dai....

Also, if you can spare the time, playing in a prerelease sealed swiss event is a great experience that I highly recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raffscallion wrote:
Also, if you can spare the time, playing in a prerelease sealed swiss event is a great experience that I highly recommend.

I take it you're referring to MtG Online here? I was playing against a chap the other day and he was talking about an event within MtG Online where you bought X amounts of sealed booster packs and played in a tournament.

I did have a poke around for more information but I'm still none the wiser. How would I get involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most prerelease events are Sealed Deck, which is when you buy 6 boosters of specified set(s), in this case M13... open up the packs, build a 40 card deck from what you've opened, and play in a tournament.

Prerelease events are special because it's (usually) the first time anyone gets to play with the cards, and gives you a special promo card just for playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
Early October each year is when standard "rotates", as such it may be wise to avoid Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Beseiged, New Phyrexia and M12. Innistrad block will be legal for over a year as will M13 as others have stated above.

On magic online, unless it has changed I'd avoid prerealese events and do release events instead. It may have changed but i'm pretty sure previously prerelease events overcharge and aren't good value whereas release events have very good value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They did fix Prereleases. If you look a Swiss draft is only 15 tickets, and the winner of the draft gets an extra pack (4 instead of 3), and you get a promo card. The EV might be a tiny bit lower, but no reason to avoid it. I believe the sealeds are similarly very reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.