Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm just starting at this great game.

From the rules:
Quote:
"As soon as the defender retreats into a siege, the region around the Stronghold is left open to the enemy, who may immediately advance into region. If the attacking Army chooses to advance, the Stronghold is now considered under siege and the battle is over."
My question is:
If the defender retreats into siege, and the attacking army chooses not to advance. Does the defender get at removing any unit in excess of five or does he actually never retreated into the siege?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure there's any reason an attacker would choose not to advance. Essentially, if he doesn't then he is wasting his attack die. This is the whole reason he attacked in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The excess units are not removed until the attacker advances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
I'm not sure there's any reason an attacker would choose not to advance. Essentially, if he doesn't then he is wasting his attack die. This is the whole reason he attacked in the first place.
I'm not sure either if it can be of any benefit for the attacker, just checking the rules.
(A reason could have been for removing the excess of defender units, but as already answered by Krieghund this is not done until the attacker chooses to advance).
Maybe he is just hoping for a field battle? Or maybe it is just a poor decision, but it is accepted and covered by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay P

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
The rules explicitly cover this situation. A stronghold is not considered "under siege" until the attacking army advances. The removal of excess units does not occur until the stronghold comes "under siege".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.