Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

7 Wonders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is a wonder's special effect only triggered after it has been built? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules make it seem like it is available to the player each age or whatever, but it seems odd. I would think the special effect is triggered after the wonder is built...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Salimo wrote:
The rules make it seem like it is available to the player each age or whatever, but it seems odd. I would think the special effect is triggered after the wonder is built...?

Each stage of the wonder gives you a different benefit, and the benefit of each stage is only available after that particular stage has been built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannyflanny wrote:
Salimo wrote:

Each stage of the wonder gives you a different benefit, and the benefit of each stage is only available after that particular stage has been built.

... But some of those effects are able to be used each age, once they are built (like the one that lets you play your 7th card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need to build the first stage in age 1, the second in age 2, etc...

It's possible to build the first two stages in age 1, or all three stages in age 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
iklinck wrote:
dannyflanny wrote:
Salimo wrote:

... But some of those effects are able to be used each age, once they are built (like the one that lets you play your 7th card).

Right. I wasn't implying (or at least I wasn't trying to imply) that the benefits can be used only once - many of the benefits can be used several times. But in order to use the benefit at all, you have to build the corresponding stage of the wonder first. Afterwards, it can be used as many times as permitted in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salimo wrote:
The special effect is triggered when the wonder stage is built. Some of the special effects, however, only happen once (such as the gaining of coins or the ability to go "dumpster-diving"), while others (such as the 2 military shields, or the ability to play the last card of each Age) last through the end of the game.

What abilities fall under what category should be found in the rulebook (which, alas, I don't have with me at the moment, and I am not in the position to look it up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oz Me
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas...

(no knocks... just for humor)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M *
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
dannyflanny wrote:
Salimo wrote:

The abilities are not used each age, you can use the ability once per age. Subtle difference (no retroactive first age usage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Wouldn't the first stage of Olympia (B) and the resources of Alexandria be usuable every turn after they are built?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Wouldn't the first stage of Olympia (B) and the resources of Alexandria be usuable every turn after they are built?
Yes. Those would be examples of the "usable through the end of the game" type of special effect that I mentioned in my last reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
ryudoowaru wrote:
Never Knows Best wrote:
Yes. Those would be examples of the "usable through the end of the game" type of special effect that I mentioned in my last reply.

I meant in response to:

theauthorm wrote:
The abilities are not used each age, you can use the ability once per age. Subtle difference (no retroactive first age usage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Can someone please quote the rulebook to answer this thread's question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Brooks
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game overview, rule 2, Action. [a player may] b. Build a stage of their Wonder

Description of the Wonders:
[]the second stage gives a special effect specific to the Wonder.

As you don't have wonder stages without having built them, you don't get the special effect unless you do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola Copo

Komin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Can someone explain me a Halikarnassos B side. I dont get it. When i build 1st level i take one card immediately. Do I get 2 cards when i built 2nd level? Same thing when i build 3rd level of wonder. Do i get to take 3 cards when I build 3rd level?

It makes no sence. If OPTION 1 (below)isnt true than side B is unbalanced. Shouldnt level 1 be worse than level 2 and 3???
So...

OPTION 1:
1st level - 1 card from discard pile
2nd level - 2 cards from discard pile
3rd level - 3 cards from discard pile

OPTION 2:
1st level - 1 card from discard pile
2nd level - 1 card from discard pile
3rd level - 1 card from discard pile

Help!
Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Each level gives you only 1 card!

Generaly you will build stage 2 and 3 later in the game ( age II and III) so you will get better cards from them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reid666 wrote:

Generaly you will build stage 2 and 3 later in the game ( age II and III) so you will get better cards from them!

+1 for this advice. I have seen side B win a game during a game I have played, and this was done in the 3rd age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
Reid666 wrote:

+1 for this advice. I have seen side B win a game during a game I have played, and this was done in the 3rd age.

Exactly, when playing this side B, get the requisite resources to build all the stage of the wonder in ages I and II but wait until late into stage 3 to build any of them. In the beginning of stage 3 discard really strong card that you want to fish out of the discard later. Then with you last three turns build the 3 stages of the wonder and play your three "trump cards" you discarded earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CG Venuti
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that mean that on Side A you must use the H special ability to fish through the discards immediately upon building stage 2 or can you wait until the end of the game and use it any time before the game ends as an extra build? We played today where the H player fished out a free card from all the discards as they waited until the end of the 3rd round to use that special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vgc1205 wrote:
Does that mean that on Side A you must use the H special ability to fish through the discards immediately upon building stage 2 or can you wait until the end of the game and use it any time before the game ends as an extra build? We played today where the H player fished out a free card from all the discards as they waited until the end of the 3rd round to use that special ability.

My understanding is that you have to do it immediately upon building that stage. You could wait until the end of the game, but you would have to build it in Age 3 to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
vgc1205 wrote:

That is very wrong. Here is the explicit rule section for it:

Base game rulebook p. 8 under Halicarnassus wrote:

Clarification: this special ability takes place at the end of the turn in which this stage is built. If players discard cards this turn (as in the case of the 6th turn of an age), the player can also choose from among them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
freddieyu wrote:
Reid666 wrote:

Exactly, when playing this side B, get the requisite resources to build all the stage of the wonder in ages I and II but wait until late into stage 3 to build any of them. In the beginning of stage 3 discard really strong card that you want to fish out of the discard later. Then with you last three turns build the 3 stages of the wonder and play your three "trump cards" you discarded earlier.

This isn't actually that great a strategy - while other people are typically spending Age III building 3 pretty good cards, 2 good cards and a Wonder stage, you're spending Age III building 3 really good cards and 3 Wonder stages (worth 3 points - plus 3 points worth of coins). If you just ignore your Wonder until the end of Age III where you build the last stage, you'd get 4 pretty good cards, 2 good cards, and 2 points from your Wonder. The only time it may be worth discarding a card to grab later is when you really want a specific card but can't afford to build it...

The standard strategy with Halikarnassos B is to build each stage as the last turn of an Age - getting you a card at least as good as the one you would have built otherwise, and a Wonder stage too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.