Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Thibault
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) How, exactly, does the Shards of the Throne PC work? For example, last night I tried a suicide run to steal the Shard of the Throne card from someone; my thinking was that it only checked at the end of a battle, and if the current holder lost any pieces, regardless of whether the attacker lost any or all of his pieces, the attacker would get the card. My suicide run failed, but thinking back on it I'm not quite sure that's actually how it would've worked out if I'd blown up a ship.

2) What happens if I force a retreat (such as through a Territorial Concession PNC) and there are no adjacent activated systems for the target to move to? This happened once in our game last night; we did a strategic retreat with a command counter from the reinforcements, but that was primarily to keep the game moving instead of looking it up.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
astralarchivist wrote:
1) How, exactly, does the Shards of the Throne PC work? For example, last night I tried a suicide run to steal the Shard of the Throne card from someone; my thinking was that it only checked at the end of a battle, and if the current holder lost any pieces, regardless of whether the attacker lost any or all of his pieces, the attacker would get the card. My suicide run failed, but thinking back on it I'm not quite sure that's actually how it would've worked out if I'd blown up a ship.

Yup, that's all it takes. You don't have to survive, you just have to kill something. It definitely encourages a lot of fighting.

In fact, you don't even have to wait until the end of battle; as soon as you destroy a unit during battle, you get the card.

Quote:
2) What happens if I force a retreat (such as through a Territorial Concession PNC) and there are no adjacent activated systems for the target to move to? This happened once in our game last night; we did a strategic retreat with a command counter from the reinforcements, but that was primarily to keep the game moving instead of looking it up.

Yes, if you are playing with the Tactical Retreat rule (which most people do now), you can activate a system with it.

I'm not sure if there's an official ruling on what happens if you have no more CCs left and literally cannot retreat; personally, I would say in that case, you just can't have that card played on you right then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Thibault
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Yup, that's all it takes. You don't have to survive, you just have to kill something. It definitely encourages a lot of fighting.

In fact, you don't even have to wait until the end of battle; as soon as you destroy a unit during battle, you get the card.

So, the /safest/ bet for me would be to attack, immediately declare withdrawal, and fight the one round, hoping for a casualty so I can claim the Shard with no possibility of it being stolen back (in that combat, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
astralarchivist wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

So, the /safest/ bet for me would be to attack, immediately declare withdrawal, and fight the one round, hoping for a casualty so I can claim the Shard with no possibility of it being stolen back (in that combat, of course).

You could, but just because it can't be taken back that combat doesn't mean it won't next combat, and someone is sure to come after you for it sometime soon

Although you don't need to withdraw; the card says only the attacker can receive the card, so the defender couldn't steal it back anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gagner
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually taken this card and won the game because of it. I was on track to score enough points to win if I had the card at the end of the round. I had also previously purchased Transfabrication. So I attacked and claimed the Support and then scuttled everything except my home system units. I believe they made a last ditch effort to kill at least something on my home system, but with my diplomat and mech units all they did was damage my tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
astralarchivist wrote:

That would be my interpretation too, except the CC would come from the Strategy Allocation, like with a Tactical Retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

I'm not sure if there's an official ruling on what happens if you have no more CCs left and literally cannot retreat; personally, I would say in that case, you just can't have that card played on you right then.

And as usual you are going to be correct.

Corey Konieczka via gmail.com

4:40 PM (22 minutes ago)

to s198207
If the defending player cannot retreat then you may not play Territorial Concession .

I hope this answers your question!
-Corey Konieczka
VP of R&D
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.