10 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions regarding Hallway I/II/etc being a big corridor. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guilherme gty
Brazil
flag msg tools
Can't remember well the map tile names because I'm currently at work.

There's a story, I believe green eyed boy, that some hallways are connected together like a corridor. The investigators have to move to the board tile and spend 1 action to explore every board tile: hallway1, hallway2, etc, right? So, assuming that if a monster comes up in hallway 2 and the investigator is on hallway 1, should I:

- make an horror check? (this looks the correct answer for me since it's a big corridor)
- wait for the monster to get in the same board tile of the investigator and avoid the horror check?

That came up when I was playing and the investigator was asking that horror check on different board tile might be wrong even if it's a corridor because he needed to move to that board tile to spend his action to explore.

by the way, another question to make sure I was playing it right: does he trully need to go to hallway2 to explore since he's on hallway1 and it's a big corridor?

Sorry for being a bit confusing on the post. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they are named separately, they count as two different rooms. They each require an explore action to be explored, and a monster entering that hall from an adjoining hall will still cause a horror check. The rationale is that the investigator is getting freaked out because the thing is chasing him down the hall.

Same goes for open yard space, like in Blood Ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
A room is defined based on the names on the tiles, not line of sight. Horror checks are based on rooms, so if you are in Hallway 2, you don't need to make horror checks against monsters in Hallway 1 (even though you can see them). Exploration is also based on room; Hallway 1 and Hallway 2 are separate rooms with separate exploration card stacks and must be explored separately, even if there is an open border between them.

Consider an outdoor map like Blood Ties. It would be silly for a single Explore action to vacuum up the Garden, Front Yard, Front Path, Back Yard, Patio, and Graveyard all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddock Krug
Germany
Salzgitter
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Room: An area of a map tile that has a name and is
separated from other rooms by
solid brown walls,
doors, or the edge of the map tile. All Lock, Obstacle,
and Exploration cards in the room are placed next to
the room’s name.

Rules pg. 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaddockKrug wrote:
Quote:
Room: An area of a map tile that has a name and is
separated from other rooms by
solid brown walls,
doors, or the edge of the map tile. All Lock, Obstacle,
and Exploration cards in the room are placed next to
the room’s name.

Rules pg. 8

If am not mistaken (going from memory), where two hallway tiles connect together, there is NO brown wall? If so, then even though each hallway tile has its own name, the second criteria (brown wall) is NOT met - therefore the two hallways are ONE room?

-SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the edge of a tile delineates a room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
No, the edge of a tile delineates a room.

Ok, so no matter where a tile is located, an edge is ALWAYS a wall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An edge is always the edge of a room. If you step off of one tile and into another, you have changed rooms. A wall need not be involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
An edge is always the edge of a room. If you step off of one tile and into another, you have changed rooms. A wall need not be involved.

Makes sense! I think what was throwing me off is if you line up Hallway 3 to Hallway 4, they are separated by the thin gray line (like those separating spaces.) Add that to the fact they both have LOS dots in the corners (for free flowing LOS), and that some hallway ends have doors and some don't - I can see how I was looking at this as one long room.

In the end I really don't care what makes sense, I would just prefer to play it as intended.

Why do you suppose they just didn't put walls and doors at each end of each hallway?

-SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lindgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, putting doors/walls at the end of all hallways would affect such things as line of sight for ranged weapons. Having a long hallway not separated by a door still enables you to stand in one end of the corridor and shoot on a monster in the other end (even though they are separate "rooms"), as long as it is within weapon range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.