Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: If I get this over Dungeonquest, what expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Debating between this or Dungeonquest. What say you? I want one of these Ameritrash games (I have already posted in the other forum).If I go with this game, any expansions I should get right out of the gate?

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse W.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Game-playing Meowstic
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever looks the most interesting to you. They're all independent of each other. I think I would recommend a small box expansion to start with, as most of the cards can just be shuffled into the existing decks and you don't have to learn even more rules right off to get the whole experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was only one I would go with Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Reaper Expansion. Controlling an NPC adds so much more menace to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
If I go with this game, any expansions I should get right out of the gate?

No expansions are neccessary. The base game is perectly playable by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeonquest (FFG) of course doesn't have any expansions released to date. Talisman has 7 Expansions to date with more to be released. Talisman is your answer!

Ell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
If I go with this game [Talisman 4th edition], any expansions I should get right out of the gate?

I agree with Dan. No expansions are necessary, because Talisman is perectly playable by itself. However, if you do want to get some expansions "right out of the gate", try and get The Reaper expansion first. After that, then the others if you want, but again, you don't really need to.

I would only get The Highland expansion if you really want it. Of all the expansions, that one is the least exciting of the bunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Brackney
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If i go this route, id get dungeon and blood moon out of the gate. I like the horror aspect of blood moon. This is a game id play two player.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-player is okay, but 3-4 is IMO the ideal number. Not sure getting Dungeon helps PvP in 2-player, but then again, I don't know if you're into that aspect. For 2-p, I'd actually go with DQ.

For me, best Talisman expansions are (in order): Reaper, Blood Moon, Dungeon

Blood Moon has a legit case for actually being the #1 expansion, but is let down by the weak-sauce Werewolf, who is but a toothless pup compared to the dread the Reaper evokes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been itching to get the game as well, with an expansion or two. I have the 2nd edition of Talisman, but have been ogling the new artwork style, and I definitely like what I see.

Right now I'm leaning towards Blood Moon and Reaper expansions: most adventure cards and spells added in total,without the hassle of extra boards from the outset, plus the Day/Night cycle of Blood Moon sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the Sacred Pool Expansion and Frostmarch Expansion. Lots of new Adventure Cards and Spells without any extra boards!

Ell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went about and ordered the 4th edition along with Reaper and BloodMoon at Barnes&Noble(alas, one of the few retailers that ships to Israel without going ballistic on the shipping fees).
Still, I've saved quite a bit compared to the rate I would have paid had I purchased it locally.
Gaming is costly here, much like everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the base game and the Blood Moon expansion. I like the gothic horror hook. If the game becomes a hit at home, I will further look into getting the Reaper expansion and Dungeon. But I see that as my limits.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanamsilat wrote:
Don't forget the Sacred Pool Expansion and Frostmarch Expansion. Lots of new Adventure Cards and Spells without any extra boards!

Ell.

The rest will surely come.Akin to Arkham Horror, I feel it would be difficult to stop. Oh, well. Talisman is one of my childhood favorites: what can I do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the board expansions, I get a positive vibe from the Dragon expansion. I like the idea of substituting the Inner Realm for another area from time to time Plus, the additional mechanics sound like fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Brackney
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
As for the board expansions, I get a positive vibe from the Dragon expansion. I like the idea of substituting the Inner Realm for another area from time to time Plus, the additional mechanics sound like fun.

I was seriously considering Dragon for the inner realm changes, but as I read more about it, I did not like what the dragon scale mechanic did to the game. Someone might change my mind, but it's at the bottom of the list now - behind Dungeon and Highlands, as I'm not keen on taking up more table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.