United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

There is a slight chance that I may be moving to the Jacksonville area next month. What is the gaming scene like in the area?

I'm a bit of an old Avalon Hill junkie--History of the World, Advanced Civ, etc, and also play a bunch of euros like Power Grid, El Grande, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I lived there two years ago, it was pretty much dead. You had the biggest store, The Hobby Chest - which primarily is a 40k store. However the owner did at times have a few Euros and Ameritrash game. He also had a huge collection of D&D and other roleplaying game systems (it almost felt like the store that time forgot.) as well as Hobby things like remote control planes/copters or even airsoft guns of various prices. You can find some Anime and some card games. However 40k is still his bread and butter.

Since then Jacksonville has also had a small gaming convention and I remember seeing this kickstarter for a different one
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1850725952/jaxcon-2011-c...

You may be able to find the occasional geek that moves into the area through geekfinder, however they are pretty sparse.

Across the street from The Hobby Chest is the mall and there is a Barnes and Noble - however most of the game selection that was there was usually lacking unlike other Barnes and Nobles (like if you drive to the next town over, Wilmington.)

Speaking of Wilmington, you may want to go there for your gaming kicks as it's sort of a college/tourist town with a lot more to do and a few more nicer things.

However this is me talking as a civilian who lived in Jacksonville. Now if you're a marine you may have a more different experience.

Oh and there was this old thread
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4173931#4173931
as well as my post from 2008
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2125262#2125262

Good luck and God Speed if you do end up going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I'm a civilian, and this would be a work move, as I am interviewing for a teaching position there.

Wilmington doesn't appear to be too far away, and I don't mind driving for games. You were right, the "find users" function does not show many in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin,

I want to also give a shout out for Wilmington. We have a great board gaming community (WilmingtonBGG) and a great FLGS in Cape Fear Games. CFG is a great store with a lot of games for a lot of genres be it board games, card games or miniatures. The owner and general manager are awesome guys and so are all the folks on staff. Here's their link.

http://www.capefeargames.com/

We have a board game night every Thursday and many of us play on the weekends as well. We also have a bunch of guys in our group who love war games, the old Avalon Hill stuff included.

It is about an hour drive from Jacksonville to Wilmington. We have one member who lives in Holly Ridge (about half way between Wilmington and Jacksonville), but he used to live in Sneads Ferry (closer to Jacksonville) and make the trek down to Wilmington at least once a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you'll find all the gaming goodness you need in Wilmington. Got lots of war gamers here of all varieties, both old school (AH, SPI, VG) and new school (GMT, MMP, etc) as well as a great mix of Euro, Ameritrash, card gamers, and enything else you want to pick up.

As Chris said, Thursdays is our regular meeting day, but we also get together on other days as people can play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you gentlemen. If I end up down there, I will certainly check out the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kevin, greetings from the J-Ville "suburbs" (hahaha). Sent you a PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kelly
United States
Twentynine Palms
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Sorry to necro this thread, but I just moved to Jacksonville myself, and am curious if anything has changed or if there are any local game groups that have popped up.

Is the Wilmington group still happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian! Message sent. Welcome to the area!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Wales

North Carolina
msg tools
Hey everyone I hate to re necro an already necro'd thread, but I've been dying to get back into d&d and Jacksonville doesn't have the biggest tabletop gaming scene. So if any of y'all need another player give me some info if ya can. Thank ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.