Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
The way i interpreted the rules was that:
1. All ships must have engines.
2. Starbases cannot have engines.

In other words you cannot get rid of the engines of a ship and make it a star base and vice versa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, this is explained in several threads. They're called 'drives' though. And I'll add these:

- Ships can have more than one drive
- Ships can have no drives while in the midst of an upgrade action, as long as they have one after the completion of that action. The same applies for not enough power, or any other restrictions.

One thing I don't know is whether or not a starbase could temporarily be given a drive during an upgrade action, as long as it was removed by the end of the action. I can't imagine any reason anyone would want to do that though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This also means the only way to increase the initiative of starbases is computers. Last game, my opponent's cruisers didn't need plasma missiles to fire before my starbases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
ParticleMan wrote:

- Ships can have no drives while in the midst of an upgrade action, as long as they have one after the completion of that action.

Do you mean for example that a player could upgrade a ship by adding a computer over the drive and in the same upgrade action add a drive over a hull?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMario wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

- Ships can have no drives while in the midst of an upgrade action, as long as they have one after the completion of that action.

Do you mean for example that a player could upgrade a ship by adding a computer over the drive and in the same upgrade action add a drive over a hull?

That is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
fusag wrote:
PimpMario wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

That is correct.

In that example couldnt they just have added a drive the hull first therefore the ship was never without a drive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
PimpMario wrote:
fusag wrote:
PimpMario wrote:

That is correct.
In that example couldnt they just have added a drive the hull first therefore the ship was never without a drive?

Am I remembering correctly that the Upgrade action has you remove parts before adding parts? If so, then you could have your natural drive covered by a part you don't want to remove, during an upgrade action where you intend to replace your current (unnatural) drive with another part (maybe you're going from the two-hex drive to the three-hex drive.) Between removing the old drive and adding the new one, you would have no drive, but that's okay because you end up with a drive by the end of the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
PimpMario wrote:

Maybe, but there are examples where "ships must have a drive" together with "ships must be able to power all modules" conflict and prevent desired upgrades, if not for the clause that the checks only happen after the completion of the action. I came up with an example in another thread but I don't feel like digging it out or devising it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and you cannot, for example, drive your Dreadnaughts over to your opponent's home planet and then dismantle its drive and turn it into Plasma Cannons. Not allowed!

(I know that's already been firmly established, but we discussed it last game and it's just a funny image - "hey, we're already here, we don't need these engines anymore..." "but sir, how will we get home?")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linh1987
Vietnam
Copenhagen K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PimpMario wrote:
The way i interpreted the rules was that:
1. All ships must have engines.
2. Starbases cannot have engines.

In other words you cannot get rid of the engines of a ship and make it a star base and vice versa.

A thematic explanation would be without a drive, the ship cannot even rotate itself to fire its cannons.

Starbases, however, can do that due to different mounting setup devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
arkayn wrote:
Yes, and you cannot, for example, drive your Dreadnaughts over to your opponent's home planet and then dismantle its drive and turn it into Plasma Cannons. Not allowed!

Unless you put some extra drives on your dreadnaught for speed--then you could jettison all but one of them for extra guns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
arkayn wrote:

Unless you put some extra drives on your dreadnaught for speed--then you could jettison all but one of them for extra guns.

True, but I wonder if that can be an efficient use of actions. I guess it's the point where 3 Move actions cannot get your ships where you need them, but 2 Upgrade actions and a Move can. I suppose if you don't already have great guns on your Dreadnaughts, you would have had to spend an Upgrade action anyway, so it becomes "1 Upgrade + 2 Moves cannot get your ships in the right place with the right equipment, but 2 Upgrades + 1 Move can do so" (like putting a +3 Move and a better weapon on your Dread, then moving 2 of them 4 squares each, then removing your original engine and adding another better weapon and maybe a Computer or Power upgrade). Seems like it would be rare, but be an awesome move for that one time that you need it.

"Hey, I've got an idea, point our engines at the enemy ship."
"Sir, they're not made for that."
"We have the greatest engineers in the galaxy - I'm sure they'll find a way."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.