Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When can scorecards be discarded?
On the space track? As a discard cost to play an event?

I can't see anything in the rules to prevent either of these situations but it just seems wrong that a Region may never get scored because it gets repeatedly discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
When can scorecards be discarded?

The only time you can actually discard a scoring card is due to a random card toss, either Five Year Plan, or Terrorism.

Quote:
On the space track? As a discard cost to play an event?

Neither.

Quote:
I can't see anything in the rules to prevent either of these situations but it seems wrong that a Region may never get scored, if the game ends before turn 10.

Scoring cards have no ops value and cannot be used for any other purpose and may not be held.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Leroy,

I feel much better about that. Is there an explicit rule for this or is it part of an FAQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeSantis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Score cards cannot be discarded onto the space race track because score cards do not have a 2 op or higher value which is needed in order to discard them.

For the "discard cost to play a card" question, I think you are referring to "UN Intervention", but that cannot discard a score card because it has to be a card associated with just the opponent.

Even though according to 2.2.1 in the rulebook, "Scoring cards are labeled "SCORING" and must be played sometime during the turn they are drawn", cards override the rules in the rulebook, like "Five-Year Plan" for instance. If the scoring card is chosen, since it is associated with both sides, it must be discarded. So there is at least one way to keep discarding a particular region card from play, but it is highly unlikely since it is picked from the opponent's hand randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elmer Kim
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
You can discard them to the US event "Ask Not..." that lets you discard as well. Pretty useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that although the space race allows you to discard a held card once you get high enough, this ability does not apply to scoring cards (deluxe FAQ, p. 8).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasdc3po wrote:
[...] like "Five-Year Plan" for instance. If the scoring card is chosen, since it is associated with both sides, it must be discarded. So there is at least one way to keep discarding a particular region card from play, but it is highly unlikely since it is picked from the opponent's hand randomly.

I have seen in many occasions the Five Year Plan being played by the USSR on AR 7 with the player having only a scoring card left in his hands for the USA to pick.
So getting rid of a scoring card with the Five Year Plan is not as unlikely as it may seem. It is mostly a matter of good hand management.

The Five Year Plan, in some given situations, is an interesting event for the USSR to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.