8 Posts

Paths of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Wargames of similiar scale? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Apan Arne
msg tools
Hello,

I know there another thread already up on games if you like PoG, but I'm looking a little more specific.

I find PoG/BtB to be awesome to play because of it's huge scope compared to many other Wargames. When browsing for Wargames, nearly all returns is small-scale tactic games like Commands and Colors...

Can anyone recommend other wargames of such scale as PoG/BtB/(Wilderness War)/(Napoleonic war)?
meaning: Several hours of playthrough, big maps, many fronts/nations, CDG-driven preferable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
KaiserJohan wrote:
Hello,

I know there another thread already up on games if you like PoG, but I'm looking a little more specific.

I find PoG/BtB to be awesome to play because of it's huge scope compared to many other Wargames. When browsing for Wargames, nearly all returns is small-scale tactic games like Commands and Colors...

Can anyone recommend other wargames of such scale as PoG/BtB/(Wilderness War)/(Napoleonic war)?
meaning: Several hours of playthrough, big maps, many fronts/nations, CDG-driven preferable

How about Empire of the Sun or Triumph of Chaos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is for The Civil War by Victory Games. That game predates card driven games by a decade, but achieved similar tension between the players through an initiative system that uses a comparison of 2d6 to produce limited increments of action. It has a more operational feel because of the small hexes. It took me 20 hours each of the two times I played the full 19 turns solitaire. I regard it as being the best two player strategic cardboard game of all time, with Paths of Glory a very close second.

For the People by GMT is more similar to PoG in terms of use of cards and point to point map. It also has a shorter playing time than The Civil War.

Are you interested in multi-player games? Here I Stand and Virgin Queen are pretty popular multi-player CDGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look into Europe Engulfed, which covers the entire European theater of WWII. It's not card-driven, but it matches all your other criteria. If you want a heavy CDG, consider Clash of Monarchs. Like Paths of Glory, it forces you to juggle the priorities of different fronts, with five primary nations, several minor powers, and detailed systems for battle, siege, and raiding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell/Karen Morse
United States
WOONSOCKET
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Monarchs
Pursuit of Glory slightly smaller scale to POG
The Napoleonic Wars
Thirty Years War: Europe in Agony, 1618-1648
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more suggestions:

Light CDG: Washington's War

Multi-player CDGs: Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, Sword of Rome, Wellington

Multi-player, Euro-style: Friedrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shifting Sands - Game feels like a larger scope than it is
Pursuit of Glory - "sequel" to PoG
Twilight Struggle - A wargame IMHO, and you will be "fighting" on many fronts
Case Blue - Nuff said shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apan Arne
msg tools
Lots of good suggestions, will look into them, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.