Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre-Yves Caron
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard about Kingsburg and it looks really nice!

I watched and read a few reviews and some general topics came back from review to review, but were not explain in detail:

-Comparison with Troyes, Alien Frontiers and other games using dice in a different and clever way.

-Expansion should be bought along with the main game.

Could you please clear up those points?

I already own Stone Age and like it. I wish it would be slightly more heavy. Would Kingsburg fit the bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Kingsburg is heavier than Stone Age.

You can downlaod and try the PC version yourself, to see how you feel about the gameplay

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8323/item/632316#item6...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is worker placement with dice, similar to Alien Frontiers. Troyes is much heavier, and is a bit more clever in terms of mechanics (this also makes it a bit less approachable for some). AF and Kingsburg both use dice to collect resources, but players place all of their dice at once in AF whereas dice are placed one at a time in rounds in Kingsburg...minor difference, but it changes the game flow a bit. The biggest difference is that AF is an area majority game, whereas Kingsburg is about engine building, etc. In AF, the resources are used to gain control of areas on a planet, whereas in Kingsburg resources are used to buy buildings which can be synergistic and allow you to perform actions more efficiently or even just get points.

I would recommend the expansion for replayability, but I played the game A TON before the expansion came out. It's not a must, but it adds a lot to the game especially in terms of variability.

Kingsburg isn't that much heavier than Stone Age imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're both lightweight and designed for the less than serious gamer.
Which is one reason they're both very popular. Dice and not a huge strain on the brain.

Cue the howls of outrage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Which is one reason they're both very popular. Dice and not a huge strain on the brain.

Serious gamers can enjoy lightweight games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Rokkr wrote:

Serious gamers can enjoy lightweight games too.
I'm gonna take the middle ground here. I know for sure some serious gamers wouldn't mind Kingsburg, but the highball figure of 30min per player gets to some folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order of preference for me - it's Troyes (one of my top games), Alien Frontiers (excellent), followed by Kingsburg (good, but potentially excellent with the expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Stone Age and Kingsburg are similar in weight. Both are worker placement games where each player takes turns choosing a position on the board that will give them resources of one type or another. Both use dice, and while there is some luck of the dice, it can be mitigated or exploited by good decision making.

In my opinion, Stone Age is more tactical and requires more number crunching. Kingsburg is more about planning long term and choosing advisors who fit that plan. Out of the box, Kingsburg can play 2-5, while Stone Age is 2-4 with the base game and up to 5 with the expansion. Considering just the base games, I find Stone Age to have more replayability since you're buying different cards and huts each game.

I believe that if you get Kingsburg, you almost need to get To Forge a Realm at some point. In the base game, you're building the same 20 buildings and doing it the same way every game. The expansion introduces a variety of modules that add more strategy, reduce luck of the dice, and increase replayability. I can't remember the last time I played Kingsburg without at least one of the modules from TFaR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Woodward
United States
Bowling Green
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the expansion should be bought, but finding it is a whole different matter. Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Yves Caron
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes is the more heavy game. To play with gamers.

Kingsburg is the more accessible game. To play with almost everybody and a game that can be used to bring more people in this hobby.

According to this, it would be wise to own both (if I enjoy both).

Can you suggest other games that use dice in a different way, that you can mitigate luck by good choices of strategy?

I already know about The Castles of Burgundy and Macao. Both look great but so far, are hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try To Court the King. It is, is some aspects, very similar to Kingsburg (the part about the advisers, anyway). Plays fast, lighter than Kingsburg, but well designed with gorgeous art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao is my number 1 game. Roma (also by Feld) and Roma II are lighter versions of dice being used to select actions. Very fun with both sets mixed together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you people think that Alien Frontiers is similarly good for those who are not used to playing boardgames as Kingsburg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Aquin
Canada
Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
raphaelus wrote:
Do you people think that Alien Frontiers is similarly similarly good for those who are not used to playing boardgames as Kingsburg?

Hard to say. For me, Alien Frontiers didn't do it at all. My girlfriend doesn't even want to give the game a second try (and she's a big fan of Kingsburg and To Court the King).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiral wrote:
Try To Court the King. It is, is some aspects, very similar to Kingsburg (the part about the advisers, anyway). Plays fast, lighter than Kingsburg, but well designed with gorgeous art.

Sorry, completely different games. Both use dice cleverly, and that's about it.

Kingsburg is a traditional Euro worker placement and development game, with an interesting use of dice to be managed. And with a surprisingly low luck element. It's been quite a few games since I didn't win (I drew one in that streak) and I even won my last one with one 13, nothing higher and few 11s and 12s, all counting the three colored dice only. Four players (I think I'd have lost with five). Of course that I usually win doesn't say I'm the Kingsburg expert, just more so than the people I've played against. But no way could I have a record like that courting the King. That's playing Kingsburg with the seven rows and discs in the expansion (my usual game).

(Yes, of course rolling all 17s will give anyone even halfway competent a win against even a highly skilled player. But no one does that. Kingsburg is won and lost on what you do with (not an exact list) your 8s, 9s, 10s.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.