7th Sea Collectible Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Escapist piece on 7th Sea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9802-...

If anyone knows the designers would love to hear their take on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miller
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get into the game until after all that, when it was steeply discounted at Wizard's of the Coast old chain of game stores (due both to the card games cancellation and the retail stores own impending doom).
Couple of bucks for a starter deck. Man I wish I'd cleaned them out more thoroughly.
Anyway, the first deck I got was a Strage Vista's Gosse's Gentlemen starter. Some friends picked up Corsairs, Crimsons Rogers, & my wife got Bloody Bonnie of the Sea Dogs. The ironic bit, given this article, was that my Gosse deck was missing its Captain.
(Went back a bought another deck, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember that time as I played 7th Sea ccg in the tournament scene. A few, very few, players who were Gosse faction fans, did complain at the time about the Championship results. Was there any real impact on 7th Sea ccg sales from upset Gosse fans, I think not. Deadlands: Doomtown and Legend of the Five Rings games also had tournaments and storylines that dropped game factions. In Deadlands: Doomtown the Flock faction went bye bye and in the same period many L5R factions (Toturi, Naga, Spirit, Monk, ratling, Shadowlands) left that game. Factions leaving through storylines tournaments didn't hurt those games sales. The fact is that the MAJOR factions of all the AEG games always continue on, being defined as the factions in the very first base game sets. Gosse wasn't one of the starting main 7th Sea factions, I'd describe it a the faction with the smallest, abet loyal, following. If the Lion, Crane or Crab were dropped from L5R I'd expect major sales problems, but AEG wouldn't let that happen, at least not forever. Just like DC wouldn't drop Superman regardless of a 'death' .

Adam G.'s complaint that someone just won the Championship on luck is a bit of a whine. It wasn't just because of some preliminary sealed deck tourneys, although skilled players tend to do better at sealed deck. He hints about that when he describes that the tournaments were poorly understood (by him). I found the main tournaments well described and easily understood. Describing the 'wins' as lucky also shows great disrespect to the players who spent hours of playing, testing decks, and becoming skillful at the game. I suspect Adam didn't subscribe to the AEG 7th Sea magazine, or he would have known what was happening to the storyline and the tournament scene.

The real reason why the 7th Sea ccg, and Deadlands: Doomtown for that matter, 'died' was because of ccg bloat at AEG. The company had too many games being produced and didn't have enough top staff to deal with all of them at the same time. This showed up most clearly at the design and marketing end. Although the production and artwork was still pretty good, the last base sets of both 7th Sea ccg and Deadlands: Doomtown were disasters both in design and sales. Hence I believe, while AEG blamed sales, the company realized it needed to drop some games in order to concentrate on just one (L5R) and keep it top notch.

I should also point out that the GENCON championship involving the Gosse storyline was during the decline of popularity of 7th Sea after the game had been out a few years. 7th Sea tourneys had a history of problems dealing with 'broken' cards and broken decks in constructed format. That didn't help the tournament scene and thus sealed deck became a somewhat prefered format when it was known a 'broken' deck design would dominate a constructed event. Until a errata, ban or card fix was found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Robert. That's the kind of alternate view I like to hear. I know nothing about 7th Sea outside that article but I am fan of two other dead CCGs - Blood Wars and Spellfire - and I am always intrigued by how they came about and how they died. So thought I'd pass on the info to like minded people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not have been a big factor in this case, but I definitely don't like the idea of entire factions being killed off (even if they can come back later). As a long-time minis player, where people also get very invested in "their" faction, I can entirely empathize with people quitting the game if their faction is removed. It's hard to get up any enthusiasm to play someone else who was until recently a hated enemy, as well as knowing that if you did manage to get settled in THAT faction could be taken away as well.

Also, if the game had major balance problems then it was in serious trouble anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So apparently there has been a lot of misunderstanding about what actually happened. The Gosse faction wasn't actually removed from the game. Rather, a large number of their crew was killed off with the intent that the next section of the storyline would be them "regrouping". However, the game ended before this could occur and a lot of people both at the time and since have incorrectly interpreted this as the faction being removed.

http://www.7thsea.info/#!Marked-for-Death-A-History-Lesson/c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.